Myanmar's military junta yesterday shrugged off international action to punish the regime for its crackdown on dissent, vowing to "march on" even as Japan cut aid and European nations widened sanctions.
State media also insisted there were no political prisoners in the country and criticized a UN Security Council statement deploring the violence used to quell the biggest anti-government protests in nearly two decades.
The response came amid international pressure on the regime to halt its repression and launch talks with the pro-democracy opposition led by Aung San Suu Kyi.
Japan, one of Myanmar's main donors, said yesterday it was cancelling grants of about US$4.7 million over the fatal shooting of a Japanese journalist when security forces put down last month's mass protests.
On Monday, EU foreign ministers approved a new set of sanctions against the junta, including an embargo on the export of wood, gems and metals, and threatened further penalties.
US President George W. Bush, whose country has imposed targeted sanctions against junta leaders, called for "enormous international pressure, to make it clear to the generals that they will be completely isolated and not accepted into the international community."
But Myanmar vowed to resist, saying in state media that: "We will march on. There is no reason to change the course."
"We will remove all the hindrances and obstacles that may lie ahead," the official New Light of Myanmar daily said.
The newspaper criticized last week's UN Security Council statement, which deplored the regime's crackdown on pro-democracy protesters and called for the release of political prisoners.
"The situation in Myanmar does not constitute a threat to regional and international peace and security," it said.
"It is obvious that there is no reason for the UNSC to take action against Myanmar. In reality, there is no one in Myanmar who is in prison for political reasons. There are only those against whom action has been taken in violation of the existing laws," it said.
Last month's protests led by Buddhist monks drew up to 100,000 people onto the streets in what escalated into the most potent threat to the regime since student-led demonstrations were crushed in 1988. But they were violently broken up by troops and police in an operation that left at least 13 people dead and more than 2,000 locked up.
The UN sent Ibrahim Gambari, a top trouble-shooter, to Myanmar after the crackdown to meet junta chief Than Shwe and Aung San Suu Kyi, who is held in detention at her Yangon home.
Since then, Than Shwe has made a heavily conditioned offer of direct talks with Aung San Suu Kyi -- provided she drops her support for sanctions and ends "confrontational" policies.
The regime has also eased its curfew and restored Internet access that had been cut off during the protests.
At the same time, security forces have kept up the pressure on dissidents, arresting six more activists at the weekend, rights group Amnesty International said.
Aung San Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy -- which won elections in 1990 but has never been allowed to govern -- said any dialogue with the junta would be jeopardized if the regime continued to hunt down activists.
Gambari called the latest arrests "extremely disturbing" when he met Thai officials on Monday in Bangkok at the start of a regional tour aimed at building pressure on the regime, and called for an immediate halt.
The Nigerian diplomat was yesterday heading to Malaysia, before continuing to Indonesia, India, China and Japan. He is set to return to Myanmar next month for further talks but hopes the junta will allow him to visit sooner.
Also see: Myanmar reveals geopolitical goals
‘HERO OF THE ERA’: President Tsai Ing-wen expressed deep sadness at Lee’s passing, and told the government to assist his family with all their needs Former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) passed away at 7:24pm yesterday at Taipei Veterans General Hospital. He was 97 years old. The hospital stated the cause of death as septic shock and multiple organ failure. Lee had been hospitalized there since February, when he choked on a mouthful of milk at home. He was later diagnosed with pulmonary infiltrates and aspiration pneumonia. The hospital said that Lee had been treated with antibiotics, but that his health had not improved, as his advanced age and diabetes had inhibited his immune system and led to recurring infections. During his hospitalization, Lee underwent daily kidney dialysis, which removed
‘WEAK POSITIVE’: The man arrived in Taiwan in May and was quarantined for two weeks, Chen Shih-chung said, adding that he might be infected a long time ago The government is considering tightening mask-wearing rules again in light of a potential domestic COVID-19 infection, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) confirmed seven new COVID-19 cases, six of which are imported. The other case involves a Belgian engineer who entered Taiwan on May 3 and remained in quarantine until May 17, said Chen, who heads the CECC. Although the source of infection has yet to be identified, the case could end the nation’s record of not having any domestic cases in the previous 110 days. The Belgian, in his 20s, is a technician
RECEIVING TREATMENT: President Tsai Ing-wen, Vice President William Lai and Premier Su Tseng-chang visited former president Lee Teng-hui yesterday morning Taipei Veterans General Hospital yesterday rebutted speculation that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had died a day earlier, saying that he was weak, but receiving treatment. The hospital said the 97-year-old Lee was not in good condition and needed ongoing care, adding that if there are any changes in his condition, it would make those public. The comments came after rumors emerged online on Tuesday that Lee had died after being hospitalized since early February. Soon after the unsubstantiated rumors emerged, reporters started flocking to the hospital seeking confirmation. Lee was admitted to Taipei Veterans General Hospital on Feb. 8 after choking while drinking
THAI CASE UPDATE: Twenty-nine close contacts of the worker have been tested with two types of tests, including 18 dorm mates, with 28 negative results so far Five imported cases of COVID-19, four from the Philippines and one from Hong Kong, were reported yesterday, bringing the total confirmed cases in Taiwan to 467, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday. The four returning from the Philippines were on the same flight, and the local health department has identified 15 people who had direct contact with them — including 10 passengers in the two rows in front or behind them, who have been put under 14-day home isolation, and five crew members, who will practice 14-day self-health management, said Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang