A Chinese submarine stalked a US Navy aircraft carrier battle group in the Pacific last month and was undetected until it surfaced within firing range, the Washington Times reported yesterday.
The Chinese Song-class diesel-powered attack submarine was seen within 8km of the carrier USS Kitty Hawk and its accompanying warships on Oct. 26, the newspaper said, citing defense officials.
The surfaced submarine was spotted by a routine surveillance flight by one of the US carrier group's planes, the report said.
The newspaper said the encounter near Okinawa highlighted China's continuing efforts to prepare for a possible future conflict with the US despite the Bush administration's efforts to try to boost relations with the Chinese military.
The submarine encounter with the Kitty Hawk battle group is also an embarrassment to the commander of US forces in the Pacific, Admiral William Fallon, who is engaged in an ambitious military exchange program with China, the report said.
A US Navy spokeswoman in Washington had no comment on the newspaper's report.
Disclosure of the surprise encounter comes as the commander of the US Navy's Pacific Fleet, Admiral Gary Roughead, was making his first visit to China, which began over the weekend, the paper said.
The four-star admiral was scheduled to meet senior Chinese military leaders during the week-long visit, the paper said.
Roughead said yesterday that he was seeking to understand the intent of China's naval build-up, which includes a growing submarine fleet and new ships with "blue water" capability.
"When asked if the PLA [People's Liberation Army] navy is a threat, I've been on the record as saying no," Roughead told reporters when asked if China's build-up posed a threat to the US presence in the region or to Taiwan.
"But I really would like to know what the intent is in some of the developments that I see in the PLA navy," he said.
"Clearly the growth in the capacity and capability of the navy since I've first been exposed to it in the 90s, the ability to go into the blue water, is very, very clear," he said.
HELPING HAND: Vaccine eligibility can likely be widened to cover pregnant women now that the nation has more vaccine doses than it planned for, Chen Shih-chung said Taiwan yesterday received a shipment of 2.5 million COVID-19 vaccine doses donated by the US, obtaining its largest single batch of vaccines since the COVID-19 pandemic began early last year. A cargo plane of Taiwanese national carrier China Airlines Ltd (中華航空) carrying the Moderna Inc vaccines landed at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport at about 4:30pm, after leaving Memphis, Tennessee, early on Saturday, US time. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) and American Institute in Taiwan Director Brent Christensen were at the airport to welcome the plane. The vaccines were transported to a cold chain logistics center, where they would be inspected
‘NO STRINGS ATTACHED’: The US is donating the shots without any political or economic conditions, and with the singular aim of saving lives, a senior US official said The US was yesterday to ship 2.5 million COVID-19 vaccine doses to Taiwan, a senior US administration official told Reuters, more than tripling Washington’s previous allocation of shots for the nation. Washington, competing with Beijing to deepen geopolitical clout through so-called “vaccine diplomacy,” had initially promised to donate 750,000 doses to Taiwan, but is increasing that number as US President Joe Biden’s administration advances its pledge to send 80 million US-made shots around the world. The 2.5 million donated doses of the Moderna Inc vaccine would leave Memphis, Tennessee, on a flight belonging to Taiwan’s national carrier, China Airlines Ltd (中華航空), early
VULNERABLE: The CECC has been moving older infected people or those with underlying health conditions, who were in isolation, to hospitals for better health monitoring The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported 75 locally transmitted COVID-19 infections, the lowest daily count since the nationwide level 3 alert was issued last month. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said the 75 local infections are 35 males and 40 females, aged from under five to over 80, and they began experiencing symptoms between June 8 and Sunday. New Taipei City reported 38 cases, followed by Taipei with 22, Taoyuan with five, Miaoli County with three, Keelung and Taichung with two each, and Kaohsiung, Yunlin County and Changhua County with one each, CECC
‘GOAL NOT MET’: The CECC announced the enhanced implementation of six measures, including mandatory testing for some people and precise contact tracing The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced that a level 3 COVID-19 alert has been extended by two weeks until July 12, while it reported 104 locally transmitted cases and 24 deaths. The alert was first issued in Taipei and New Taipei City on May 15, and expanded nationwide on May 19. It was originally due to end on Monday next week, but it was extended for the third time yesterday. “The level 3 alert will continue to be implemented until July 12,” Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) told a news conference at noon. “Although the situation has improved