The government will retain its hardline stance toward businesses wishing to invest in China, keeping in place a cap on investment despite pressure to ease its policies, a Cabinet spokesman said yesterday.
Refusing to make a concession to businesspeople who have lobbied the government to increase the amount of money they can invest in China, Cabinet Spokesman Cheng Wen-tsang (鄭文燦) said that there was already too much reliance on the Chinese market by Taiwanese businesses.
"[Premier Su Tseng-chang (
Companies are limited to investing a maximum of 40 percent of their net value in China in accordance with the Statute Governing Relations Between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area (
"We currently have no intention of making any changes to this investment cap," Cheng said.
The spokesman said that the government's current policy was to improve the local financial environment to lure more investment.
"It is not that we do not want to open our doors to China. But we must make ourselves ready. If we secure ourselves and make sure that everything is fine, we can open the door wider toward China, but we can make sure we will be in good shape at the same time," Cheng said.
The spokesman also said that one of the "consensuses" reached during a recent economic summit organized by the ruling party was that the government should hold constant negotiations with the Chinese government over differences in banking systems and financial risks across the Taiwan Strait.
As China has consistently refused to have any official dialogue with the current adminstration, it was not clear how, or if, the government could implement such negotiations.
Still, Cheng praised the outcome of the economic summit, saying that "516 consensuses" had been reached and would be developed into policies within one month.
"Among these consensuses, those that the Cabinet can implement immediately will be handled first," he said.
"The `other opinions' will not go to waste, either, because they will become important reference points for us to make future policies as well," Cheng said.
Cheng made his remarks on behalf of Su during a press conference after yesterday morning's weekly Cabinet meeting. He said that the premier valued the consensuses reached at the conference, and had requested that his fellow Cabinet members do their best to implement them as soon as possible.
The premier also praised Vice Premier Tsai Ing-wen (
Cheng added that the premier was also asking for help from the legislature, and that he hoped lawmakers would speedily make or amend laws dealing with the "516 consensuses."
"The premier said that Chunghua Institution for Economic Research Chairman Vincent Siew's (蕭萬長) proposal to make Taiwan a `green, value-added island' before 2015 must be carried out step by step and that a detailed plan should be put in place," Cheng said.
Meanwhile, Cheng said the premier mentioned that rumors of a potential increase in the health insurance premium were not true.
"Currently, we do not have any such plans," Cheng said.
The spokesman admitted that the health insurance bureau was suffering from severe financial problems. However, he said the government was doing everything it could to solve the problem, instead of just raising health insurance premiums.
"At the moment, we will probably solve the problem by evaluating the way we spend health insurance money and seek to fix it that way, rather than increasing the premium for the public," Cheng said.
FORCED LABOR: Customs officials have seized a 11.8 tonne shipment of products made from human hair on suspicion they were produced by people facing human rights abuses Federal authorities in New York City on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officials said that 11.8 tonnes of hair products worth an estimated US$800,000 were in the shipment. “The production of these goods constitutes a very serious human rights violation, and the detention order is intended to send a clear and direct message to all entities seeking to do business with the United States that illicit and inhumane practices will not be tolerated in
JUST QUESTIONS: Expelled reporter Ai Kezhu said that every member of Southeast Television had complied with the law and had not appeared on any talk shows Two Chinese reporters yesterday left Taiwan after the government revoked their accreditation and ordered them to leave amid a probe into allegations that several Chinese media outlets have set up studios and produced political talk shows in Taiwan. The two reporters — Ai Kezhu (艾珂竹) and Lu Qiang (盧薔) — worked for Fujian Province-based Southeast Television and arrived in Taiwan in December last year. The Mainland Affairs Council has launched an investigation after local media reported that Chinese broadcasters — including China Central Television, Southeast Television and FJTV — had set up studios in Taipei and produced political talk shows. Council Deputy Minister
UPTICK IN NUMBERS: The Taipei deputy mayor said the city has services to assist new immigrants, but has established an office specifically to help those from Hong Kong The Taiwan-Hong Kong Services and Exchanges Office today officially opens, where it is to provide humanitarian assistance to Hong Kongers, after Beijing yesterday passed a controversial national security law for the territory. President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) expressed dismay over China’s passage of the law, saying that Beijing has broken its pledge to allow Hong Kong to maintain a high degree of autonomy for at least 50 years following its handover from the UK. “I feel extremely disappointed [about the law’s passage], which means China did not keep its promise to Hong Kong,” Tsai said in Taipei. Beijing’s “broken promise” also
‘BASELESS ACCUSATIONS’: Ker Chien-ming said it was not possible to drop Chen Chu’s nomination, while KMT lawmakers accused their DPP rivals of ‘homicidal behavior’ The Legislative Yuan is to vote on President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) nominations for the Control Yuan on July 17 after Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislators regained access to the legislative chamber yesterday after it was occupied by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers for about 19 hours. The Legislative Yuan had been scheduled to meet yesterday morning to discuss its planned extraordinary session, but more than 20 KMT lawmakers on Sunday afternoon broke into the main chamber and occupied the legislative speaker’s podium to protest Tsai’s nomination of former Presidential Office secretary-general Chen Chu (陳菊) to be Control Yuan president. The KMT caucus