BHP Billiton Ltd, the world’s No. 1 miner, yesterday said that it was cutting back its operating US shale oil rigs by 40 percent amid slumping prices, but expected production output to rise for the fiscal year.
BHP said it would reduce the number of rigs from 26 to 16 by the end of June in response to weaker oil prices. Shale volumes were still forecast to grow by about 50 percent during the period.
“In petroleum, we have moved quickly in response to lower prices and will reduce the number of rigs we operate in our onshore US business by approximately 40 percent by the end of this financial year,” chief executive Andrew Mackenzie said. “The revised drilling program will benefit from significant improvements in drilling and completions efficiency.”
Mackenzie said that while the firm’s drilling operations would focus on its Black Hawk field in Texas: “We will keep this activity under review and make further changes if we believe deferring development will create more value than near-term production.”
BHP shares closed up 2.07 percent to A$28.05 yesterday in Sydney trading.
Oil prices slid again on Tuesday after the IMF slashed its forecast for world economic growth and revived concerns about the strength of crude demand.
US benchmark West Texas Intermediate for next month sank US$2.30, or 4.7 percent, to US$46.39 a barrel, not far from its lowest level since March 2009.
“The announcement that BHP will reduce the number of US onshore oil rigs it operates by the end of this financial year is a pointer to the industry-wide supply response on lower oil prices that is yet to come,” CMC Markets’ chief market analyst Ric Spooner said in a note.
BHP added that its iron ore output had risen by 16 percent for the three months to December last year compared with a year earlier, hitting 56.4 million tonnes.
Prices in iron ore, a core BHP commodity, slumped 47 percent last year amid a global supply glut and softening Chinese demand.
The Anglo-Australian miner also booked a charge of up to US$250 million for the sale of petroleum and gas assets in the US, and up to US$350 million in aftertax charges for the Nickel West mine in western Australia.
BHP said in November last year that it had called a halt to the planned sale of Nickel West, as no bidder had offered the right price.
Mackenzie said BHP’s operational performance over the past six months was strong and the firm was cutting costs and lifting productivity faster than planned.
He added that BHP remained committed to its planned corporate restructuring — to be completed by the end of the fiscal year — which includes a new independent firm called South32 created by spinning off non-core assets including aluminum and selected coal and nickel operations.
END TO SPECULATION: The hotel’s management contract has been extended, despite reports that it wanted to end its alliance with Hyatt Hotels over a deal with Riant Capital Singapore-based Hong Leong Hotel Development Ltd (豐隆大飯店股份) yesterday said it has extended a management contract to ensure the continued presence of the Grand Hyatt brand in Taipei, ending rumors that the two sides were parting ways. “We are pleased Hyatt is able to come to terms on the extension of the management contract of Grand Hyatt Taipei,” said Kwek Leng Beng (郭令明), executive chairman of City Developments Ltd (城市發展) and Millennium & Copthorne Hotels Ltd (千禧國敦酒店). Hong Leong Hotel Development is a subsidiary of Millennium, and both fall under the Hong Leong Group (豐隆集團). The Grand Hyatt Taipei (台北君悅大飯店), owned and built by
’WHITE BOX’: The open platform would give local firms access to Cisco’s cloud-based mobile network to develop 5G telecom equipment and tap into the global market The Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) yesterday introduced a new 5G “open lab” in collaboration with US-based information technology and networking giant Cisco Systems Inc to address the rapidly growing “white box” 5G networking equipment market. The open lab will be a platform where Taiwanese manufacturers can access Cisco’s cloud-based mobile network to develop their own 5G telecom equipment, such as small-cell base stations, network switches, modems and Internet of things (IoT) devices, a ministry statement said. The open platform would allow Taiwanese manufacturers to tap into the lucrative 5G telecom equipment market, which was previously monopolized by Nokia Oyj, Ericsson AB
Nintendo Co is raising its target for Switch production to about 25 million units this fiscal year, people familiar with the matter said, as the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic keeps lifting demand and component shortages ease. The Kyoto, Japan-based company, which in April hiked orders to 22 million units by March next year, is asking partners to tack on another few million units, said the people, who did not want to be identified discussing internal goals. Assembly partners plan to work at maximum capacity through December. The new production target suggests that Nintendo is likely to outperform its Switch sales forecast of 19 million
‘BIG LOSS’: This year might see the last generation of Huawei’s Kirin chips, as their production would stop next month because they are made using US technology Chinese tech giant Huawei Technologies Co (華為) is running out of processor chips to make smartphones due to US sanctions and would be forced to stop production of its own most advanced chips, a company executive has said, in a sign of growing damage to Huawei’s business from US pressure. Huawei, one of the biggest producers of smartphones and network equipment, is at the center of US-Chinese tension over technology and security. Washington last year cut off Huawei’s access to US components and technology, and those penalties were tightened in May, when the White House barred vendors worldwide from using US