A Chinese industrialist has completed the landmark purchase of Chateau Bellefont-Belcier, a leading estate in France’s prestigious Saint Emilion wine-making area, sources involved in the sale said on Thursday.
The property is the first of its rank — Grand Cru Classe (classified great growth) — to be acquired in what has been a wave of Chinese investment in the Bordeaux region.
The new owner is a 45-year-old industrialist with assets in the iron sector who has already diversified into the wine importing business. He met the chateau’s employees on Friday and has since returned to China.
Chinese investors have acquired about 30 lower-ranked properties in Bordeaux (the larger region that includes Saint Emilion) in the last two years, and this year has seen China become the region’s biggest export market in terms of volume.
So far, Chinese investment has not been controversial in a region with a long tradition of foreign ownership of wine estates.
In contrast, the acquisition by a Chinese buyer of Chateau Gevrey-Chambertin in Burgundy earlier this year triggered a major row, with local winemakers and far-right politicians claiming the country’s heritage was being sold.
“This is a first [for Bordeaux]. We’ll see how people react,” said Herve Olivier, regional director of SAFER, the government agency that oversees rural land development.
Bordeax Wine Council president Georges Haushalter does not expect a backlash.
“We have the Japanese at Chateau Beychevelle and Chateau Lagrange and no one reacts against them,” he said. “They have done a very good job.”
Bellefont-Belcier, which had been on the market for a number of years, has 13 hectares of vines and total land of 20 hectares. A source close to the transaction said the final price was between 1.5 million and 2 million euros (US$1.95 million to US$2.6 million) per hectare of vines.
The sale had been in negotiation for a number of months, but the price was not finalized until after the announcement in September of a once-in-a-decade reclassification of Saint Emilion wines, which confirmed the estate’s Grand Cru status.
“The classification played an enormous role,” said a spokesman from Franck Lagorce Conseil, the agency which negotiated the deal.
Without the classification, “the price would not have been the same,” he said.
Olivier said another 10 chateaux could be sold to Chinese buyers by the end of the year if bureaucratic obstacles can be overcome.
“These are dossiers that are lagging. Since this past summer, there is manifestly a difficulty for the Chinese ... to get their money out of China. So there are plenty of dossiers that are pushed back,” he said.
Chinese investors in Bordeaux are primarily industrialists with diverse business interests, including real estate and tourism, Olivier said.
“They do business in everything,” Olivier said. “Some are already in the wine business, some are in the restaurant business. Sometimes they are just wine lovers who do it for their own pleasure and they buy a chateau in Bordeaux.”
Until now, Chinese investors have focused on relatively obscure chateaux in modest appellations, the properties frequently having languished on the market for some time with little chance of a bidding war.
For this reason, Chinese investors have not put pressure on vineyard land prices, he said.
“They don’t make the prices shoot up like in Gevrey Chambertin,” he said. “Prices have remained stable.”
The controversy in Burgundy was fueled by the fact that Macau gambling executive Louis Ng outbid a group of local investors. Inflation in land prices is a sensitive issue because of the impact it has on inheritance tax and, as a consequence, the ability of families to pass vineyards down to the next generation.
“Bordeaux vineyards have always been open to foreign investors,” Olivier said. “There have been trends — the English, Belgians, Americans, Japanese, insurance companies, banks, which have purchased chateaux. Today, it’s the Chinese.”
“What is different is that it’s in such a short period. They’ve purchased 30 estates in two years. That’s something,” he said.
FIVE NEW FABS: An acquisition of Siltronic would boost GlobalWafers’ market share from 17 to 30 percent, easily surpassing Japanese rival Sumco’s 25 percent GlobalWafers Inc (環球晶圓) yesterday said it is in final talks to acquire Germany-based Siltronic AG in a 3.75 billion euro (US$4.5 billion) deal, which might help it compete with its closest rival Sumco Corp of Japan. The acquisition would be the fifth for GlobalWafers since 2008, as it has grown to become the world’s No. 3 supplier of silicon wafers through such deals. GlobalWafers, which has a 17 percent market share, would see its market position greatly elevated to 30 percent when combined with Siltronic’s 13 percent, according to a presentation Siltronic gave to its investors at a quarterly conference in August. Sumco
With the speed cryptocurrency is emerging as the millennial generation’s alternative asset of choice in India, it is hard to imagine that just two years ago a couple of blockchain pioneers were briefly in police custody. Sathvik Vishwanath and Harish BV, cofounders of a then five-year-old start-up, were arrested in late 2018. No, they had not pulled off a shady initial coin offering. Their “crime” was that they put up a kiosk in a mall in Bangalore where customers could swap bitcoin, ether or ripple for cash or vice versa. That was the whole point of unocoin, their crypto token exchange.
CONCERNS: The bank would act if it noticed currency speculation, the governor said, but he did not comment on a likely trajectory of the NT dollar against the greenback The central bank would intervene in the market whenever necessary to help stabilize the New Taiwan dollar, central bank Governor Yang Chin-long (楊金龍) said yesterday, adding that it is concerned Taiwan might be placed on the US watchlist for currency manipulation. The Control Yuan recently sent letter inquiring about the central bank’s market regulation efforts, Yang told a meeting of the legislature’s Finance Committee on the NT dollar’s appreciation and property price hikes. “It is the central bank’s top responsibility to stabilize foreign exchanges,” he said. The central bank has often stepped in toward the end of trading sessions to moderate the NT
Qualcomm Inc expects global shipments of 5G smartphones to more than double to between 450 million and 550 million units next year from this year, driven by increasing 5G network deployment worldwide and broader adoption of 5G technology beyond smartphones, a company executive told a virtual news conference yesterday. The San Diego-based company said that more than five times more telecoms have commercially launched 5G services in the first 18 months of the 5G era, compared with wireless technology transitions to previous generations. The momentum is to pick up speed in 2022, with the shipment volume of 5G-ready smartphones projected to reach