Samsung Electronics Co, the world’s biggest maker of mobile phones, was barred from selling its Galaxy Nexus smartphone in the US by a second court ruling this week in its global patent dispute with Apple Inc.
The ruling by US District Judge Lucy Koh in San Jose, California, follows her order on Tuesday blocking US sales of Samsung’s Galaxy Tab 10.1 computer in the patent and trademark-infringement lawsuit over smartphones and tablets. On June 7, Koh expedited evidence sharing for Apple’s bid to block sales of Samsung’s newest Galaxy smartphone, the Galaxy S III.
“Although Samsung will necessarily be harmed by being forced to withdraw its product from the market before the merits can be determined after a full trial, the harm faced by Apple absent an injunction is greater,” Koh said in her ruling on Friday. “Apple’s interest in enforcing its patent rights is particularly strong because it has presented a strong case on the merits.”
The world’s two biggest makers of high-end phones have accused each other of copying designs and technology for mobile devices and are fighting patent battles on four continents to retain their dominance in the US$219 billion global smartphone market.
After rejecting Apple’s repeated requests for injunctions blocking sales of Samsung products, Koh, following an appeals court ruling in Apple’s favor, has granted Apple two important injunctions this week.
“It’s a big deal,” said Carl Howe, an analyst with Yankee Group, a Boston-based technology research firm. “Samsung is perhaps the best and most successful challenge to Apple in the smartphone business, so to win an injunction against your biggest competitor is pretty profound.”
Taken with the earlier ruling on the Galaxy Tab, he said, “It does imply that there will be problems for Samsung.”
Samsung accounts for 29.1 percent of global shipments of smartphones, according to market research firm IDC. California-based Apple is second with 24.2 percent, IDC said.
Apple has sought to bar as many as 25 Samsung smartphones in addition to the Nexus model covered by Friday’s ruling, including the latest, the Galaxy S III. The Nexus phone was the first smartphone to run Google’s Android version 4.0.
“Samsung is disappointed, as the court’s decision will restrict US consumer choice in the smartphone market,” Adam Yates, a Samsung spokesman, said in an e-mailed statement. “We will take all available measures, including legal action, to ensure the Galaxy Nexus remains available to consumers.”
The South Korean electronics maker is working closely with Google to resolve the sales ban as the disputed patent involves the US company’s search function, Samsung said in a separate statement yesterday.
Outside courtroom battles, Samsung and Apple also have a close business relationship. Samsung is one of Apple’s biggest suppliers, making parts including semiconductors and screens. About 7.6 percent of Samsung’s revenue comes from Apple, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
Earlier in the week, Kim Young Chan, a Seoul-based analyst at Shinhan Investment Corp, said Samsung’s “fundamentals will stay intact” so long as smartphone sales are not blocked.
Apple is the biggest buyer of Samsung chips and displays.
CHIP CRUNCH: Apple’s woes show that even the king of the technology world is not immune from global shortages made worse by the COVID-19 pandemic Apple Inc is likely to slash its projected iPhone 13 production targets for this year by as many as 10 million units as prolonged chip shortages hit its flagship product, people with knowledge of the matter said. The company had expected to produce 90 million new iPhone models in the final three months of this year, but it is now telling manufacturing partners that the total would be lower because Broadcom Inc and Texas Instruments Inc are struggling to deliver enough components, the people said. Apple gets display parts from Texas Instruments, while Broadcom is its longtime supplier of wireless components. One Texas
Units of Intel Corp and Samsung Electronics Co are targeting to resume full operations of their Ho Chi Minh City plants by the end of next month, a move that could provide relief to global supply chains. Saigon Hi-Tech Park is helping its tenants, many of which are running at about 70 percent capacity, to operate fully next month, park deputy manager Le Bich Loan said in a phone interview. She did not elaborate on the steps the park is taking, particularly efforts at bringing back workers who fled to home provinces. The Ho Chi Minh City unit of Nidec Sankyo Corp,
EVA Airways Corp (長榮航空) and China Airlines Ltd (中華航空), the nation’s two major airlines, reported accelerated revenue growth in the third quarter compared with the previous two quarters, thanks to robust air cargo business. EVA Airways yesterday said sales for last quarter rose 40 percent year-on-year to NT$25.81 billion (US$917 million), compared with an increase of 25 percent in the second quarter and a fall of 35 percent in the first quarter. China Airlines said sales grew 39 percent to NT$34.6 billion in the third quarter, after gaining 10 percent in the second quarter and falling 14 percent in the first quarter. EVA
Hon Hai Precision Industry Co (鴻海精密) is embarking on a recruitment drive to hire 200,000 workers in Shenzhen, China, as it ramps up production of the new iPhone 13 series, Chinese business news outlet Eastmoney.com reported. Hon Hai is seeking to recruit those heading back to the city after China’s seven-day National Day holiday, which began on Oct. 1, to help churn out the estimated 100,000 iPhone 13s produced on the site each day, the report said. Following last month’s global release of the iPhone 13, Hon Hai entered its traditional peak season, and workers at its Chinese production sites are said