The US Federal Reserve on Wednesday left its monetary policy unchanged, as it slashed US economic growth estimates, saying the slowdown was in part due to factors that were “likely” to be temporary.
The Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) unanimously decided to hold its near-zero interest rate, end a US$600 billion bond-buying program by Thursday next week and continue to reinvest its principal payments from security holdings.
“The economic recovery is continuing at a moderate pace, though somewhat more slowly than the committee expected,” the policy-setting FOMC said in a statement after a two-day meeting.
The slowdown “in part” was due to “factors that are likely to be temporary,” such as higher food and energy prices which were crimping consumer purchasing power and supply chain disruptions related to Japan’s March earthquake and tsunami disaster, the committee said.
The Fed slashed its GDP growth estimate for this year to a range of 2.7 percent to 2.9 percent, from its April projection of 3.1 percent to 3.3 percent.
It also lowered its forecast for next year to 3.3 percent to 3.7 percent, from its April forecast of 3.5 percent to 4.2 percent.
Asian shares mostly edged down yesterday as traders cashed in after a two-day regional rally, while sentiment was also dampened by the Fed’s decision to cut its US growth forecast.
Tokyo lost 0.34 percent, or 32.69 points, to end at 9,596.74. Seoul closed 0.39 percent, or 8.04 points, lower at 2,055.86.
Sydney fell 0.71 percent, or 32.1 points, to 4,500.5, and Taipei dropped 0.62 percent, or 53.76 points, to 8,567.28.
However, Hong Kong was flat and Shanghai gained 0.26 percent in afternoon trade.
US Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said the key reasons for keeping monetary policy loose were “the ongoing labor market slack” and “the subdued inflation outlook.”
The Fed has additional “untested” tools available to ease monetary policy further if conditions worsen, including increasing securities purchases or giving a fixed date for the next rate hike, but “none of them are without risks or costs,” Bernanke said at a post-FOMC news conference.
The central bank held its target federal funds rate between zero and 0.25 percent, where it has been since December 2008, in an effort to stimulate growth after a financial sector meltdown.
For the 22nd consecutive meeting, Fed policymakers said it would likely remain exceptionally low “for an extended period.”
The Fed expressed concern about rising unemployment, which hit a rate of 9.1 percent last month.
“We expect the unemployment rate to continue to decline, but the pace of progress remains frustratingly slow,” Bernanke said.
The Fed’s latest economic projections indicated little relief was on the way in the jobs market. This year’s unemployment rate was now estimated between 8.6 percent and 8.9 percent, up 0.2 point from the April estimate.
The central bank maintained a benign view on a recent pickup in inflation, saying longer-term inflation expectations had remained stable.
However, Bernanke stressed the difficulty of making accurate forecasts and acknowledged the economy is facing more long-lasting challenges to recovery.
“Maybe some of the headwinds that have been concerning us, like ... weakness in the financial sector, problems in the housing sector, balance sheets and deleveraging issues, some of these headwinds may be stronger or more persistent than we thought,” he said.
Bernanke also warned of potential risks to the global economy from Greece’s sovereign debt crisis.
“If there were a failure to resolve that situation, it would pose threats to the European financial systems, the global financial system and to European political unity,” he said.
The Fed said it would complete its plan to end its US$600 billion second round of bond buying, or quantitative easing on Thursday next week.
It also maintained its policy of reinvesting principal payments from its securities holdings to keep cash pouring into the economy.
PRESSURE FROM THE US: Huawei said a decision by the US was ‘arbitrary and pernicious, and threatens to undermine the entire [technology] industry worldwide’ Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) has stopped new orders from Huawei Technologies Co (華為) in response to Washington’s move aimed at further limiting chip supplies to the Chinese company, the Nikkei reported yesterday, citing multiple sources. The orders that TSMC took before the new ban and those that were already in production are not affected, and could continue to proceed if those chips could be shipped before the middle of September, the report said. TSMC, the world’s biggest contract chipmaker and a key Huawei supplier, on Thursday last week announced plans to build a US-based plant and on Friday added that
MediaTek Inc (聯發科), which designs chips used in mobile phones, yesterday launched its new 5G Dimensity 820 system-on-chip (SoC), targeting mid-range to high-end smartphones. The company expects the penetration of 5G technology to gain pace quickly this year and not be affected too much by the COVID-19 pandemic. MediaTek said it aims to expand its 5G chip portfolio this year to cover phones of varying prices after it shipped its first 5G SoC, the Dimensity 1000, last quarter. The Dimensity 820, made by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (台積電) on 7-nanometer technology, is designed for mid-range to high-end 5G phones. MediaTek expects to infiltrate the
TV and online retailer Momo.com Inc (富邦媒體) yesterday said it has set up a new logistics subsidiary, Fu Sheng Logistics Co (富昇物流), to oversee the company’s extensive shipping operations. Leveraging Momo’s 23 satellite warehouses and distribution centers nationwide, Fu Sheng will be in charge of executing the retailer’s same-day shipment plan for deliveries in Taipei, New Taipei City, Taoyuan, Taichung, Tainan and Kaohsiung, Momo said in a press release. Seeking to further shorten its supply chain, the company is to set up another seven satellite warehouses and distribution centers by the end of the year. “Fu Sheng has a fleet of 200 couriers
US-CHINA TENSIONS: The company said that it supplies self-designed chips to the Chinese company and, as such, is not affected by the latest US export restrictions Macronix International Co (旺宏電子) said it does not expect its shipments of memory chips to Huawei Technologies Co (華為) to be affected by the latest US export restrictions on the Chinese tech giant. “As long as the company [Huawei] places orders, we will ship [chips], unless the [Taiwanese] government restricts all Taiwanese companies from shipping” to Huawei, Macronix chairman and chief executive officer Miin Wu (吳敏求) said on Monday in Hsinchu. The US Department of Commerce on Friday took a further step to block chip supplies from non-US companies to Huawei by requiring foreign semiconductor makers to get US government permission before