A group promoting the rights of the unemployed will launch a 10,000-name petition drive later this month to call on the government to pay attention to their plight, a group official said on Saturday.
Su Chen (蘇諍), convener of the Association of the Human Rights of the Jobless, said the association began planning the petition after the government failed to address a proposal by the group to offer the jobless meal coupons.
A group of middle-aged and elderly jobless people went to the Presidential Office in the middle of last month to ask the government to establish an “eatery for the jobless” with its employment fund.
The Presidential Office turned their request over to the Council of Labor Affairs for deliberation.
Su said the idea of an “eatery” was aimed at feeding the unemployed until they land jobs so they would not be lured into crime by empty stomachs.
“To avoid abuse of the program, the association suggested that only those who have been without jobs for more than one year would be eligible and that they would be required to accept job counseling while receiving the meal coupons,” he said.
In a revised draft of the Employment Insurance Law (性別工作平等法) sent to the Executive Yuan, the council extended the subsidies for the jobless from six months to nine months, but Su said this was “unrealistic” in caring for the long-term jobless.
The association is planning to launch the 10,000-name petition drive on Sunday to coincide with the Mid-Autumn Festival.
The association asked the government to compel school or private eateries to accept the proposed meal coupons for the jobless worth NT$50 each.
Su said the employment insurance fund amounts to about NT$100 billion (US$3.14 billion) and that it should be more than enough to sponsor the “eatery” program.
But the council said the program was more like “social aid” and would be more appropriately handled by social welfare agencies or organizations.
Shares of contract chipmaker Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) came under pressure yesterday after a report that Apple Inc is looking to shift some orders from the Taiwanese company to Intel Corp. TSMC shares fell NT$55, or 2.4 percent, to close at NT$2,235 on the local main board, Taiwan Stock Exchange data showed. Despite the losses, TSMC is expected to continue to benefit from sound fundamentals, as it maintains a lead over its peers in high-end process development, analysts said. “The selling was a knee-jerk reaction to an Intel-Apple report over the weekend,” Mega International Investment Services Corp (兆豐國際投顧) analyst Alex Huang
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is expected to remain Apple Inc’s primary chip manufacturing partner despite reports that Apple could shift some orders to Intel Corp, industry experts said yesterday. The comments came after The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday that Apple and Intel had reached a preliminary agreement following more than a year of negotiations for Intel to manufacture some chips for Apple devices. Taiwan Institute of Economic Research (台灣經濟研究院) economist Arisa Liu (劉佩真) said TSMC’s advanced packaging technologies, including integrated fan-out and chip-on-wafer-on-substrate, remain critical to the performance of Apple’s A-series and M-series chips. She said Intel and Samsung
TRANSITION: With the closure, the company would reorganize its Taiwanese unit to a sales and service-focused model, Bridgestone said Bridgestone Corp yesterday announced it would cease manufacturing operations at its tire plant in Hsinchu County’s Hukou Township (湖口), affecting more than 500 workers. Bridgestone Taiwan Co (台灣普利司通) said in a statement that the decision was based on the Tokyo-based tire maker’s adjustments to its global operational strategy and long-term market development considerations. The Taiwanese unit would be reorganized as part of the closure, effective yesterday, and all related production activities would be concluded, the statement said. Under the plan, Bridgestone would continue to deepen its presence in the Taiwanese market, while transitioning to a sales and service-focused business model, it added. The Hsinchu
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) has approved a capital budget of US$31.28 billion for production expansion to meet long-term development needs during the artificial intelligence (AI) boom. The company’s board meeting yesterday approved the capital appropriation plan for purposes such as the installation of advanced technology capacity and fab construction, the world’s largest contract chipmaker said in a statement. At an earnings conference last month, TSMC forecast that its capital expenditure for this year would be at the higher end of the US$52 billion to US$56 billion range it forecast in January in response to robust demand for 5G, AI and