Two Mormon missionaries found dead on Saturday in their apartment in New Taipei City’s Sanchong District (三重) were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning, New Taipei City police said yesterday.
The deceased men were a 24-year-old Taiwanese and a US citizen, 19, police said.
The Associated Press reported earlier in the day that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), also known as the Mormon church and based in Utah, said the two missionaries were Connor Benjamin Thredgold, 19, of Utah and Xiong Yu-peng (熊宇鵬), 24, of Greater Kaohsiung.
Police said that they found the bodies after other Mormon missionaries reported the pair missing.
Prosecutors found a faulty indoor gas water heater, which they determined to be the cause of the fatal carbon monoxide leak.
There were no suspicious circumstances and the case has been closed, police said.
The New Taipei City Fire Department reminded the public that carbon monoxide poisoning does not just happen in winter when people close their windows against the cold.
In the summer, carbon monoxide poisoning can be a hazard, as people tend to keep doors and windows closed to maintain the coolness produced by air conditioners, the department said.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it would help handle Thredgold’s death, if it is asked to do so.
The report also said that the Salt Lake Tribune newspaper in Utah reported that Xiong had taken a position as a missionary in March last year.