The EU pressed China yesterday to back up its words with action and do more to stem the flow of Chinese-made counterfeit goods into Europe and around the world.
European Tax, Customs and Anti-fraud Commissioner Algirdas Semeta asked Chinese officials at a meeting in Shanghai to fully put into action a plan the two sides signed last year.
“Generally speaking, we developed a very good framework, but the implementation of this framework is not sufficient,” Semeta said before he addressed the joint customs cooperation committee meeting.
China is the EU’s largest source of imports and the main source of counterfeit goods across its 27 countries last year, with 64 percent of seized articles coming from the Asian giant, according to EU figures.
Broken down by industry, China was the source of more than 90 percent of counterfeit shoes, 81 percent of electronics and computer equipment and 72.5 percent of its fake branded clothes and accessories.
As part of an agreement on intellectual property protection, a network was established last year for European and Chinese customs officials to share real-time information to help intercept shipments and target counterfeiting rings.
“We presented 55 cases to Chinese authorities, while we received just five cases from Chinese authorities. This means the implementation of the program requires additional effort,” Semeta said.
As a trade-dependent country, China stands to lose as stricter controls are imposed in response to the rising volume of counterfeit goods, he said.
Chinese companies are also falling victim to counterfeiters. German officials seized two shipments last year of fake products bearing the name of a Chinese green technology company.
“Legitimate Chinese business also suffers from this activity,” Semeta said.
He said he would table anti-counterfeiting legislation before the end of the year. EU Internal Market Commissioner Michel Barnier is also working on separate measures, he added.
KEEP AWAY: People should wear a mask in places where they cannot follow social distancing rules, the CECC said, adding that it would publish detailed guidelines today The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 16 new cases of COVID-19, including two domestic cases, as it urged people to practice social distancing in public spaces by keeping a distance of at least 1m when outdoors and 1.5m indoors. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that seven of the new cases tested positive upon their arrival at the airport, four were under home quarantine, one was under home isolation and two were under self-health management, while the two domestic cases sought treatment on their own. The domestic cases are a man in his
Taiwan will negotiate with the WHO about its participation without Beijing’s help and intervention as more countries, including Australia and Japan, are partnering with Taiwan to curb the COVID-19 pandemic, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in a telephonic roundtable with reporters on Monday also supported Taiwan’s role in the WHO, saying the US Department of State would do its best to assist Taiwan’s “appropriate role” in the world’s highest health policy setting body, Voice of America reported. In a Japan Business Press report published on Sunday, Chinese Ambassador to Japan Kong Xuanyou (孔鉉佑) said
Malaysian authorities have advised women to wear makeup, not to nag their husbands and speak with a cartoon character’s soothing voice during the virus lockdown, sparking a flood of mockery online. Like many countries, Malaysia has ordered all citizens to stay at home to stem the spread of COVID-19, which, as of yesterday, had killed at least 39,070 people globally. In a series of online posters with the hashtag #WomenPreventCOVID19, the Malaysian Ministry of Women and Family Development issued advice on how to avoid domestic conflicts during the partial lockdown, which began on March 18. One of the campaign posters depicted
Japan’s ruling party yesterday proposed the nation’s biggest-ever stimulus package of ￥60 trillion (US$554 billion) as the COVID-19 pandemic locks the economy in a recession. The sum includes ￥20 trillion in fiscal measures with private initiatives and other elements likely making up the rest, the proposal by the Liberal Democratic Party showed. More than ￥10 trillion, or the equivalent of a 5 percentage point cut in the sales tax rate, would be handed out to the public in a combination of cash, subsidies and coupons, the plan showed. The proposal puts an initial figure on a stimulus package that Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo