Burger King agreed on Thursday to sell itself to an investment firm with roots in Brazil in a deal valued at US$4 billion, including the assumption of the firm’s debt.
The deal is the largest leveraged buyout of a fast-food chain ever, according to market researcher CapitalIQ, and the second for Burger King in the past eight years.
Burger King’s potential new owner, 3G Capital, is backed by wealthy Brazilians, including a billionaire and former tennis champion who Warren Buffett calls a “good friend.”
3G decided upon Burger King as a potential investment several months ago and began a series of friendly discussions with the fast-food chain’s management, people with direct knowledge of the talks said.
The investment firm plans to expand Burger King’s presence internationally, especially in Latin America and Asia.
“The iconic Burger King brand, its solid franchisee network and great product offerings make this a perfect fit for 3G Capital,” Alexandre Behring, 3G’s managing partner, said in a statement.
Yet in North America, where Burger King derives nearly 70 percent of its revenue, the chain has struggled. Last week, the company forecast weak demand in its new fiscal year and cautioned that uncertainty regarding the costs of wheat and beef could affect its results.
Analysts point to weaknesses like Burger King’s menu, which is less varied than McDonald’s. Burger King’s customers, largely younger men, have also suffered more from the economic slowdown.
On Thursday, Behring and Burger King’s chairman and chief executive, John Chidsey, spoke to Burger King employees in Miami about the deal, assuring them that 3G would continue to invest in the company.
Chidsey is expected to retain his roles until the deal closes. After that, Behring will take on the title of co-chairman alongside Chidsey.
3G is working with the company to find a new chief executive.
Under the terms of the deal, 3G will pay US$24 a share for Burger King, or US$3.26 billion, a 46 percent premium to Burger King’s share price before reports emerged that the fast-food giant was in sales talks.
While some analysts questioned the price of the deal, Burger King’s stock had climbed as high as US$22.06 as recently as April.
3G believes that the markets have undervalued the company. Shares in Burger King jumped more than 25 percent on Thursday, closing at US$23.59.
3G expects to begin its tender offer no later than Sept. 17 and to close the deal in the fourth quarter this year. Burger King has the right to solicit higher offers through Oct. 12 under what is known as a “go shop” period.
3G’s investments have been focused mainly on consumer-oriented companies. Among 3G’s backers is Jorge Paulo Lemann, a former investment banker who also serves on Anheuser-Busch InBev’s board.
KEEP AWAY: People should wear a mask in places where they cannot follow social distancing rules, the CECC said, adding that it would publish detailed guidelines today The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 16 new cases of COVID-19, including two domestic cases, as it urged people to practice social distancing in public spaces by keeping a distance of at least 1m when outdoors and 1.5m indoors. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that seven of the new cases tested positive upon their arrival at the airport, four were under home quarantine, one was under home isolation and two were under self-health management, while the two domestic cases sought treatment on their own. The domestic cases are a man in his
Taiwan will negotiate with the WHO about its participation without Beijing’s help and intervention as more countries, including Australia and Japan, are partnering with Taiwan to curb the COVID-19 pandemic, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in a telephonic roundtable with reporters on Monday also supported Taiwan’s role in the WHO, saying the US Department of State would do its best to assist Taiwan’s “appropriate role” in the world’s highest health policy setting body, Voice of America reported. In a Japan Business Press report published on Sunday, Chinese Ambassador to Japan Kong Xuanyou (孔鉉佑) said
‘HEROIC’: A lack of personal protective equipment has led to high infection rates among health workers in places like Spain and Italy, a nurses’ association said More equipment is needed to protect the world’s nurses working on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic to save lives, the head of the International Council of Nurses (ICN) said. “They are heroic. I think there is no other way to describe what they are doing at this moment,” said Howard Catton, a British nurse who is the council’s CEO. Infection rates of 9 percent and 12 to 14 percent have been reported among health workers in Italy and Spain respectively, he said, adding that nurses have died in the two nations, as well as Iran and Indonesia. “We have no doubt
Japan’s ruling party yesterday proposed the nation’s biggest-ever stimulus package of ￥60 trillion (US$554 billion) as the COVID-19 pandemic locks the economy in a recession. The sum includes ￥20 trillion in fiscal measures with private initiatives and other elements likely making up the rest, the proposal by the Liberal Democratic Party showed. More than ￥10 trillion, or the equivalent of a 5 percentage point cut in the sales tax rate, would be handed out to the public in a combination of cash, subsidies and coupons, the plan showed. The proposal puts an initial figure on a stimulus package that Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo