More than 80 percent of the US banks that received federal bailout funds said the money had helped them increase lending or avoid a drop in lending as the recession worsened earlier this year, a survey found.
The survey, released on Sunday by the Special Inspector General for the US Treasury’s US$700 billion Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP), found nearly 40 percent of the 360 banks surveyed had used some of the funds to build up capital cushions to absorb unanticipated losses.
And a third of the institutions said they had invested some of the TARP money into mortgage-backed securities issued by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
The poll, conducted from February to last month, focused on a question on the minds of many lawmakers, policy makers and commentators: What have banks done with their bailout money?
The bank capital infusion program approved by the administration of former US president George W. Bush last October did not require detailed information from banks on use of TARP funds.
TARP Inspector General Neil Barofsky recommended in the report that Treasury require TARP recipients to submit periodic reports to the Treasury on their use of the funds, “such as lending, investments, acquisitions and other activities, including a description of what actions they were able to take that they would not have taken without TARP funding.”
The survey did not make public results from individual banks, partly to address their concerns about divulging sensitive information.
But of the 360 banks surveyed, 300 said it was used to supplement lending activities.
About 29 percent of institutions said they used TARP funds to make residential loans, 18 percent used the funds for commercial mortgages and 17 percent said they made other consumer loans with TARP funds, such as auto loans and personal lines of credit.
Among the 40 percent of banks that said they used TARP funds to bolster capital cushions, economic uncertainty was a key factor cited.
The report cited the following quote as a typical response in this area: It was “in the best interest of [the bank’s] shareholders for the company to gain additional liquidity and a further capital cushion against the economic uncertainties that lay ahead.”
Another 52 institutions said they used the funds to pay off other debts because the government funding was more cost effective.
Another 15 banks said they used TARP funds for acquisitions, mostly to take over failed banks at the request of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp, the regulator that administers most bank failures.
Most TARP participants said they did not segregate the taxpayer funds from their other capital or borrowings.
BRIBERY CASE: President Tsai Ing-wen accepted Su Jia-chyuan’s resignation as he said that he deeply regretted causing trouble for the president due to the investigation Presidential Office Secretary-General Su Jia-chyuan (蘇嘉全) yesterday resigned after his nephew, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Su Chen-ching (蘇震清), was implicated in a bribery case related to a dispute over the ownership of Pacific Sogo Department Store (太平洋崇光百貨). “I resigned from the post so that President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) would not be bothered by it anymore, and the prosecutors can investigate the case in a fair and just manner. I thank President Tsai once again for supporting me. May the country continue to prosper under her leadership,” Su Jia-chyuan said in a statement. The Presidential Office said that Tsai has accepted
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would
‘CROSS-STRAIT CONSIDERATIONS’: Groups said that the Ministry of Education’s policies excluded Chinese and students should not be blocked over political issues The Taiwan International Student Movement yesterday said it would protest today outside the Ministry of Education in Taipei against a policy that excludes some Chinese students from returning to Taiwan amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Since June 17, the ministry has allowed foreign students from 19 “low risk” and “medium-low risk” countries and regions to enter Taiwan. On July 22, it announced that it was relaxing restrictions to include students from all countries and regions who are graduating this semester and on Wednesday it further expanded entry to students enrolled in degree programs. A letter sent by the ministry on Wednesday to universities did
The military last week sent “no small number” of Marine Corps officers to the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Island, 東沙群島) following reports of a Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) drill targeting the islands scheduled for this month. In an interview with Hong Kong’s Bauhinia Magazine published on Saturday last week, PLA National Defense University professor Li Daguang (李大光) confirmed that the Chinese army was planning to stage a simulated invasion of the Pratas Islands in the South China Sea this month. The islands comprise three atolls, with Pratas Island, at 1.74km2, being the largest. They lie southwest of Taiwan proper in the South