The world’s biggest miner, BHP Billiton, said yesterday it would axe Australian jobs, while rival Rio Tinto shut down an iron ore smelter, in response to weakening world commodity demand.
Responding to union claims that up to 400 contract jobs would be lost in Queensland state, a spokeswoman said BHP believed metallurgical coal output for this year would be approximately 10 percent to 15 percent below capacity.
“We adjust our contract requirements to suit the level of activity of our business,” Samantha Evans said.
She would not confirm or deny the exact number of jobs cut.
BHP announced in January it would cut about 6,000 jobs worldwide in response to the global economic downturn, saying it expected to lose contractors as conditions deteriorated.
The mining union said 400 contractors had been told they would lose their jobs, some of whom had been working for BHP for 10 years.
“We don’t know whether this means some of the planned expansions are not going ahead, or if they are mining to a lesser extent,” said Steve Pierce, of the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union.
The news came as rival Rio Tinto announced the temporary closure of an iron ore smelter in Western Australia, citing depressed pig iron prices and poor market outlook.
Pig iron prices are down to a quarter of their value a year ago at US$230 a tonne compared with US$900 a tonne.
A skeleton staff of 40 will be kept on to maintain the Kwinana plant, established in 2006 as a joint venture between Rio, China’s Shougang, Japan’s Mitsubishi and Nucor Corporation of the US.
Most of the remaining 100 workers will be offered redundancies or relocated to other Rio projects, the company said.
“This is a tough decision, but unfortunately one that relates directly to the current market conditions and the uncertainty of a market recovery in the near term,” Sam Walsh, chief of Rio’s iron ore operations, said in a statement.
Rio has already said it would axe 14,000 jobs.
At the close of share trading in Sydney BHP shares were up 1.56 percent at 33.78, while Rio was 1.43 percent firmer at 54.70.
Debt-laden Australian mining companies have attracted the attention of China’s state-owned metals sector, with takeover proposals from Beijing’s Minmetals and Chinalco for OZ Minerals and Rio Tinto respectively being considered by Australia’s foreign investments review board.
Hunan Valin Iron and Steel Group last month took a 16.5 percent stake in Australia’s Fortescue Metals.
FORCED LABOR: Customs officials have seized a 11.8 tonne shipment of products made from human hair on suspicion they were produced by people facing human rights abuses Federal authorities in New York City on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officials said that 11.8 tonnes of hair products worth an estimated US$800,000 were in the shipment. “The production of these goods constitutes a very serious human rights violation, and the detention order is intended to send a clear and direct message to all entities seeking to do business with the United States that illicit and inhumane practices will not be tolerated in
JUST QUESTIONS: Expelled reporter Ai Kezhu said that every member of Southeast Television had complied with the law and had not appeared on any talk shows Two Chinese reporters yesterday left Taiwan after the government revoked their accreditation and ordered them to leave amid a probe into allegations that several Chinese media outlets have set up studios and produced political talk shows in Taiwan. The two reporters — Ai Kezhu (艾珂竹) and Lu Qiang (盧薔) — worked for Fujian Province-based Southeast Television and arrived in Taiwan in December last year. The Mainland Affairs Council has launched an investigation after local media reported that Chinese broadcasters — including China Central Television, Southeast Television and FJTV — had set up studios in Taipei and produced political talk shows. Council Deputy Minister
UPTICK IN NUMBERS: The Taipei deputy mayor said the city has services to assist new immigrants, but has established an office specifically to help those from Hong Kong The Taiwan-Hong Kong Services and Exchanges Office today officially opens, where it is to provide humanitarian assistance to Hong Kongers, after Beijing yesterday passed a controversial national security law for the territory. President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) expressed dismay over China’s passage of the law, saying that Beijing has broken its pledge to allow Hong Kong to maintain a high degree of autonomy for at least 50 years following its handover from the UK. “I feel extremely disappointed [about the law’s passage], which means China did not keep its promise to Hong Kong,” Tsai said in Taipei. Beijing’s “broken promise” also
‘BASELESS ACCUSATIONS’: Ker Chien-ming said it was not possible to drop Chen Chu’s nomination, while KMT lawmakers accused their DPP rivals of ‘homicidal behavior’ The Legislative Yuan is to vote on President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) nominations for the Control Yuan on July 17 after Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislators regained access to the legislative chamber yesterday after it was occupied by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers for about 19 hours. The Legislative Yuan had been scheduled to meet yesterday morning to discuss its planned extraordinary session, but more than 20 KMT lawmakers on Sunday afternoon broke into the main chamber and occupied the legislative speaker’s podium to protest Tsai’s nomination of former Presidential Office secretary-general Chen Chu (陳菊) to be Control Yuan president. The KMT caucus