The price of shares in E.ON, the biggest German power supplier, soared 6.51 percent to 108.80 euros at the start of trading yesterday after the announcement the day before that it was dropping its takeover bid for Spanish electricity supplier Endesa.
After trying to get its hands on Endesa for more than a year, E.ON announced late on Monday that it was ceding victory to rival bidders Acciona of Spain and Enel of Italy.
In return, E.ON would buy assets from Endesa worth about 10 billion euros (US$13 billion), the three partners agreed.
The decision marks the end of a more than year-long battle by the German group to win control of Endesa and opens the way for a takeover of the utility by its biggest shareholders, Acciona and Enel.
E.ON said it had agreed with Enel and Acciona that if they gained control of Endesa, E.ON would receive a "significant portfolio" of assets in France, Italy, Spain, Poland and Turkey worth about 10 million euros.
Enel CEO Fulvio Conti said that a new takeover offer to Endesa shareholders would be made "immediately" which would be "clearer and on better terms."
In Madrid, Acciona said that a joint takeover bid for Endesa would be launched with Enel "very soon."
Last week, the Spanish market regulator had ruled that the two firms, which control 46 percent of Endesa, should wait six months from the end of the acceptance period for E.ON's bid before launching their own bid.
E.ON's 42-billion-euro bid, which was widely expected to fail, was set to expire yesterday.
"Today, E.ON signed an agreement with Enel and Acciona in order to put an end to the substantial uncertainty surrounding the takeover bid for Endesa," E.ON said in a statement. "Therefore, E.ON will not carry out the takeover bid designed to acquire a majority stake in Endesa."
FORCED LABOR: Customs officials have seized a 11.8 tonne shipment of products made from human hair on suspicion they were produced by people facing human rights abuses Federal authorities in New York City on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officials said that 11.8 tonnes of hair products worth an estimated US$800,000 were in the shipment. “The production of these goods constitutes a very serious human rights violation, and the detention order is intended to send a clear and direct message to all entities seeking to do business with the United States that illicit and inhumane practices will not be tolerated in
IRRESPONSIBLE ATTITUDES? Some experts say the NHI system does not do enough to educate the public, or pay doctors to talk to patients, about healthy lifestyles While the life expectancy of Taiwanese newborns in 2018 reached 80.69 years, the number of years people spent in poor health hit a record high at 8.41 years, Ministry of Health and Welfare statistics showed on Saturday. Healthy life expectancy is calculated by a person’s life expectancy minus the time they spend in ill health, such as the loss of mobility, disabilities and chronic disease, based on medical records and calculations about the years they live with disabilities. The number of years that Taiwanese spend in poor health is increasing slowly, but steadily, rising by 0.46 years, or five-and-a-half months, between 2012
UPTICK IN NUMBERS: The Taipei deputy mayor said the city has services to assist new immigrants, but has established an office specifically to help those from Hong Kong The Taiwan-Hong Kong Services and Exchanges Office today officially opens, where it is to provide humanitarian assistance to Hong Kongers, after Beijing yesterday passed a controversial national security law for the territory. President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) expressed dismay over China’s passage of the law, saying that Beijing has broken its pledge to allow Hong Kong to maintain a high degree of autonomy for at least 50 years following its handover from the UK. “I feel extremely disappointed [about the law’s passage], which means China did not keep its promise to Hong Kong,” Tsai said in Taipei. Beijing’s “broken promise” also
‘BASELESS ACCUSATIONS’: Ker Chien-ming said it was not possible to drop Chen Chu’s nomination, while KMT lawmakers accused their DPP rivals of ‘homicidal behavior’ The Legislative Yuan is to vote on President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) nominations for the Control Yuan on July 17 after Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislators regained access to the legislative chamber yesterday after it was occupied by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers for about 19 hours. The Legislative Yuan had been scheduled to meet yesterday morning to discuss its planned extraordinary session, but more than 20 KMT lawmakers on Sunday afternoon broke into the main chamber and occupied the legislative speaker’s podium to protest Tsai’s nomination of former Presidential Office secretary-general Chen Chu (陳菊) to be Control Yuan president. The KMT caucus