The world's biggest auto show revs into top gear this weekend with US carmakers facing a tough job to protect their home turf from determined Asian challengers.
Japanese makers Toyota, Honda and Nissan, and South Korea's Hyundai, are all planning major introductions of new models as they seek to whittle away further at the dwindling market edge enjoyed by the Detroit giants.
"Given the business climate, it's probably going to be a rather somber affair," Dennis Virag, president of the Automotive Consulting Group, said ahead of the press launch on Sunday of this year's North American International Auto Show.
"The domestic carmakers are in retreat and the question is when and where they are going to be able to put up a defense," Virag said.
David Cole, director of the Center for Automotive Research, said much of the focus at the Detroit show will be on the bottom lines of General Motors and Ford, rather than their new offerings.
"The business side will be pretty dominant. Last year the focus was on whether General Motors would go bankrupt. This year, Ford seems to be in the hot seat," Cole said.
Both GM and Ford are laying off thousands of workers and shuttering plants as they seek to shore up their embattled businesses.
Toyota looks on course to surpass GM as the world's leading automaker in production terms this year.
The US carmakers are all planning significant introductions at the two-week show, which marks the centennial of the first auto exhibition organized in Detroit in 1907.
GM is banking on the Chevrolet Malibu to help win it back market share in the crucial mid-sized market segment. Ford will show off a four-door Mustang that the company has dubbed a concept version of its legendary muscle car.
The Chrysler Group, part of the German-US company DaimlerChrysler, will show off its new minivans and production cars such as the Dodge Avenger.
Toyota plans to show off several vehicles, including a new pickup truck, a sports car with a hybrid engine and a sporty new luxury sedan, as well a high-end concept vehicle from its Lexus marque.
Honda, which last year scooped the honors in Detroit for the year's best car and truck in North America, will reveal a coupe version of the popular Honda Accord.
Meanwhile, Nissan is bringing out a new small crossover vehicle called the Rouge, based on a Renault-engineered chassis.
For strategic reasons, Germany's Volkswagen is not unveiling any new models in Detroit but both BMW and DaimlerChrysler unit Mercedes-Benz will have a full array of vehicles on hand at the show.
One of the most intriguing offerings will be the Mercedes group's tiny "smart fortwo," a two-seater hit in the heavily congested streets of Europe that is to go on sale in the US in early 2008.
"Manufacturers want to have a broad portfolio because nobody knows whether gas is going to US$1.50 per gallon or US$3.50 dollars per gallon [3.8 liters]," Cole said.
Fuel economy has become much more important as US drivers turn away from pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles, said Alexander Edwards, president of Strategic Vision's automotive consultancy.
That is bad news for GM and Ford, which remained wedded to their heavier vehicles for too long, he noted.
"The Asians started 10 or 15 years ago doing a great deal, focusing on safety and security by offering vehicles with more durability and reliability," he said.
HONG KONG SECURITY: The president blasted regulations requiring Taiwanese agents or political organizations to provide information on their Hong Kong-related activities President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday warned of countermeasures should controversial Chinese national security legislation imposed on Hong Kong undermine or harm Taiwanese interests. Article 43 of the legislation empowers the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to serve written notices to Taiwanese political organizations or individual agents to furnish information on their Hong Kong-related activities, including their personal particulars, finances, assets, expenditure and capital in the territory. Failure to comply or providing false or incomplete information can result in a fine of HK$100,000 (US$12,903) or imprisonment of six months or two years respectively. Tsai said that Taiwan would keep a close watch on how
PROBE LAUNCHED: An officer who served as a supervisor in the drill died in an apparent suicide after the accident, which was caused by unexpected waves Two marines who were on Friday injured in a military exercise in the waters off Kaohsiung passed away yesterday, Navy Command said. The marines — surnamed Tsai (蔡), 26, and a sergeant surnamed Chen (陳), 36 — were in a seven-member Marine Corps team that encountered rough seas during a simulated response to enemy forces landing on Taiwan. Their rubber craft overturned in waters off Taoziyuan (桃子園) beach in Zuoying District (左營), injuring four of the marines. They were rushed to hospital, where three of them — Tsai, Chen and a 34-year-old sergeant — were taken to an intensive care unit
MORAL COURAGE: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs urged the global community to face China’s intention to subdue Taiwan and reject such irrational requests The Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday strongly condemned the Chinese government for meddling with US officials’ interactions with Taiwan after FBI Director Christopher Wray revealed China’s efforts to discourage US officials from visiting Taiwan. The greatest long-term threat to the US’ information security and intellectual property, as well as its economic vitality, is China’s counterintelligence and economic espionage operations, Wray told a video event at the Hudson Institute in Washington. Beijing is engaged in a highly sophisticated and maligning foreign influence campaign, with methods that include bribery, blackmail and covert deals, he said. Giving an example, Wray said that when a US official
‘SIGNAL TO ALLIES’: The US Navy’s exercises are not in response to those carried out by China, the commander of the strike group led by the USS ‘Ronald Reagan’ said Two US aircraft carriers were yesterday conducting exercises in the disputed South China Sea, the US Navy said as China also carried out military drills that have been criticized by the US Department of Defense and neighboring states. China and the US have accused each other of stoking tension in the waterway at a time of strained relations over everything from COVID-19 to trade to Hong Kong. The USS Nimitz and USS Ronald Reagan were carrying out operations and exercises in the South China Sea “to support a free and open Indo-Pacific,” the navy said in a statement. It did not say exactly