The US Justice Department put new limits on prosecutors seeking confidential data from corporations on Tuesday after critics lobbied the government to back off tough tactics authorized during the Enron-era scandals.
Deputy Attorney General Paul McNulty said the new guidelines will not hinder prosecutors from aggressively going after companies accused of fraud and other white-collar crimes. Whistle-blowers called the changes a setback for shareholders and employees who risk losing billions in pensions and savings if scandal-tainted corporations aren't fully investigated.
A coalition of allies who had demanded the changes offered only lukewarm support. The new rules bar the government from charging businesses solely on the basis of their refusal to hand over corporate attorney-client communications or their continuing to pay lawyer's fees for employees under investigation.
Announcing the changes in a New York speech that was closed to the media and public, McNulty said they aimed "to strike a balance between the central concerns of those who have raised questions about the policy ... and continue our aggressive efforts against corporate criminals."
The text of his speech was released in Washington.
The policy should help companies curb fraud internally by encouraging open talk between corporate attorneys and their clients, McNulty said in an interview with reporters.
"It, in no way, slows down the ability to prosecute these cases successfully," he said.
Under the new guidelines, US attorneys and their trial prosecutors:Must obtain written approval from the deputy attorney general before demanding confidential information or communications between attorneys and their clients; Must consult with the assistant attorney general who oversees all Justice Department criminal cases before seeking results of corporations' internal investigations or other factual information; Cannot consider as uncooperative any firms that pay attorneys' fees for employees, however, the deputy attorney general could approve harsher charges in cases where the payments result in blocking the government's investigation; Cannot bring charges against corporations simply because they refuse to hand over confidential and so-called "privileged" attorney-client information.
The new rules replace guidelines issued in 2003 to coordinate prosecution tactics among the 94 US attorneys' offices nationwide following scandals at Enron Corp, WorldCom Corp and other firms.
Critics charged that those tactics, devised by former deputy attorney general Larry Thompson, were too harsh on corporations trying to avoid being branded as uncooperative. They feared that could lead to indictments that publicly scarred even innocent businesses forever.
A coalition that includes former Attorney General Ed Meese, the US Chamber of Commerce, the American Bar Association and the American Civil Liberties Union has fiercely lobbied for changes to the policy they termed coercive. Additionally, a federal judge in New York criticized the old guidelines in June as unconstitutional as they were used in a 2004 case against accounting firm KPMG.
Last week, outgoing Senate Judiciary Chairman Arlen Specter introduced legislation to bar prosecutors from pressuring corporations against paying legal fees or demanding attorney-client information.
Stan Anderson, senior counsel at the US Chamber of Commerce, said the new guidelines show the Justice Department "clearly recognized that they had a problem."
But he raised concerns over how firms who do not turn over information or refuse to pay attorneys' fees can escape harsher penalties if those that do are given credit for cooperating.
"To me, that seems inconsistent," Anderson said.
Stephen Kohn, chairman of the National Whistleblower Center, called the new rules "outrageous" and accused the Justice Department of "backing down to corporate pressure."
But one attorney who has worked on both sides of the issue praised McNulty's changes.
The new guidelines "should restore needed balance to the investigation of business entities and their employees," said Craig Margolis, a former prosecutor.
‘HERO OF THE ERA’: President Tsai Ing-wen expressed deep sadness at Lee’s passing, and told the government to assist his family with all their needs Former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) passed away at 7:24pm yesterday at Taipei Veterans General Hospital. He was 97 years old. The hospital stated the cause of death as septic shock and multiple organ failure. Lee had been hospitalized there since February, when he choked on a mouthful of milk at home. He was later diagnosed with pulmonary infiltrates and aspiration pneumonia. The hospital said that Lee had been treated with antibiotics, but that his health had not improved, as his advanced age and diabetes had inhibited his immune system and led to recurring infections. During his hospitalization, Lee underwent daily kidney dialysis, which removed
‘WEAK POSITIVE’: The man arrived in Taiwan in May and was quarantined for two weeks, Chen Shih-chung said, adding that he might be infected a long time ago The government is considering tightening mask-wearing rules again in light of a potential domestic COVID-19 infection, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) confirmed seven new COVID-19 cases, six of which are imported. The other case involves a Belgian engineer who entered Taiwan on May 3 and remained in quarantine until May 17, said Chen, who heads the CECC. Although the source of infection has yet to be identified, the case could end the nation’s record of not having any domestic cases in the previous 110 days. The Belgian, in his 20s, is a technician
RECEIVING TREATMENT: President Tsai Ing-wen, Vice President William Lai and Premier Su Tseng-chang visited former president Lee Teng-hui yesterday morning Taipei Veterans General Hospital yesterday rebutted speculation that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had died a day earlier, saying that he was weak, but receiving treatment. The hospital said the 97-year-old Lee was not in good condition and needed ongoing care, adding that if there are any changes in his condition, it would make those public. The comments came after rumors emerged online on Tuesday that Lee had died after being hospitalized since early February. Soon after the unsubstantiated rumors emerged, reporters started flocking to the hospital seeking confirmation. Lee was admitted to Taipei Veterans General Hospital on Feb. 8 after choking while drinking
ROAD TO HISTORY: When Lee Teng-hui joined the KMT, the likelihood of a Taiwanese becoming ROC president, much less its first directly elected one, was hard to imagine Lee Teng-hui (李登輝), who was born on Jan. 15, 1923, in the farming community of Sanshi Village, Taihoku Prefecture — now New Taipei City’s Sanzhi District (三芝) — during the Japanese colonial era, and rose to become mayor of Taipei and not only the Republic of China’s (ROC) first Taiwan-born president, but its first directly elected one as well. Educated in the Japanese educational system of the time, Lee, who spoke Japanese, Hoklo (also known as Taiwanese), Mandarin and English, won a scholarship to Kyoto Imperial University, but his studies were interrupted by World War II. He earned a bachelor’s