Ministers from the 11-member OPEC are likely to decide on a further cut in OPEC oil output when they gather on Thursday in Abuja, Nigeria, analysts say.
The cartel, which regulates its oil supply to maximize export revenues and control prices, is eager to keep crude around US$60 per barrel and a further cut would support the market heading into the northern hemisphere winter.
The meeting is also expected to include some behind-the-scenes friction as countries reconvene to assess adherence to their individual production limits.
OPEC lowered its output quota at its last meeting in Qatar to stem a slide in prices, which had fallen from a high of US$78 per barrel in July to about US$58 at the time of the meeting in October.
The 1.2-million-barrel-per-day (bpd) cut was distributed among the 10 members bound by quota system, but there are suspicions of cheating amid evidence that some members have continued pumping at previous levels.
"We estimate the actual cuts out of the 1.2 million-barrel announcement at something about 80 percent, or 800,000 barrels a day," said Carl Calabro, a senior analyst at Washington-based energy consultancy PFC Energy.
"I'm sure there will be some finger-pointing at first. There were 400,000 that were supposed to be cut, so where've they gone?" he said.
Saudi Arabia has most strictly adhered to its limits, he said, with the over-production suspects being chiefly Iran and Venezuela.
"There are some people that talk a good game, who talk about cutting production, but don't," he said.
A lack of discipline among OPEC members has bedeviled the cartel in the past and the reduction in Qatar was greeted with skepticism by some analysts, who suggested some members would find it too difficult to forgo oil revenues.
For the meeting in Abuja, prices are back above the US$60 mark at US$62.03 per barrel, but mild winter weather in the US and Europe, inventory levels and a slowdown in the US economy are likely to convince members of the case for another cut.
Ministers from the leading oil exporters have all given notice in recent weeks that the group is prepared to pare back its quota, which binds all members except Iraq and currently stands at 26.3 million bpd.
Asked at the beginning of this month whether the OPEC cut would be 500,000 bpd, Nigerian Oil Minister and OPEC President Edmund Daukoru told journalists: "When we meet, we will look at the data and the trend and I do not expect anything less at this meeting."
Saudi Arabian Oil Minister Ali al-Nuaimi, who is considered the most influential member owing to the country's vast resources, has also hinted that OPEC will cut again.
"They will probably lower their production ceiling because they have mentioned this for some time ... especially the Saudi minister which is the kingpin of the OPEC meeting machine," said Manou-chehr Takin, a senior oil analyst at the Center for Global Energy Studies.
Indonesian Energy Minister Purnomo Yusgiantoro said on Friday that OPEC was likely to cut by 1 million to 1.5 million bpd. Representatives from Algeria, Iran, Qatar and Venezuela have all previously expressed support for more action.
Veronica Smart, an analyst at the Energy Information Center, a British consultancy, said a reduction would be designed to defend the US$60 price ceiling.
"It's not their official position, but US$60 a barrel has been mentioned as a ceiling. They took a cut when prices were below US$60 [in Qatar] so that reinforces the view," she said.
The impact of another cut on the market would depend on whether the reduction was adhered to and eventually felt by oil buyers.
BRIBERY CASE: President Tsai Ing-wen accepted Su Jia-chyuan’s resignation as he said that he deeply regretted causing trouble for the president due to the investigation Presidential Office Secretary-General Su Jia-chyuan (蘇嘉全) yesterday resigned after his nephew, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Su Chen-ching (蘇震清), was implicated in a bribery case related to a dispute over the ownership of Pacific Sogo Department Store (太平洋崇光百貨). “I resigned from the post so that President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) would not be bothered by it anymore, and the prosecutors can investigate the case in a fair and just manner. I thank President Tsai once again for supporting me. May the country continue to prosper under her leadership,” Su Jia-chyuan said in a statement. The Presidential Office said that Tsai has accepted
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would
‘CROSS-STRAIT CONSIDERATIONS’: Groups said that the Ministry of Education’s policies excluded Chinese and students should not be blocked over political issues The Taiwan International Student Movement yesterday said it would protest today outside the Ministry of Education in Taipei against a policy that excludes some Chinese students from returning to Taiwan amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Since June 17, the ministry has allowed foreign students from 19 “low risk” and “medium-low risk” countries and regions to enter Taiwan. On July 22, it announced that it was relaxing restrictions to include students from all countries and regions who are graduating this semester and on Wednesday it further expanded entry to students enrolled in degree programs. A letter sent by the ministry on Wednesday to universities did
The military last week sent “no small number” of Marine Corps officers to the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Island, 東沙群島) following reports of a Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) drill targeting the islands scheduled for this month. In an interview with Hong Kong’s Bauhinia Magazine published on Saturday last week, PLA National Defense University professor Li Daguang (李大光) confirmed that the Chinese army was planning to stage a simulated invasion of the Pratas Islands in the South China Sea this month. The islands comprise three atolls, with Pratas Island, at 1.74km2, being the largest. They lie southwest of Taiwan proper in the South