In a sharp rebuttal to an antitrust lawsuit, Intel Corp on Thursday denied any wrongdoing and characterized Advanced Micro Devices, its rival and accuser, as a victim of its own mistakes.
Intel's formal response came nine weeks after AMD accused Intel of unfair pricing and rebates, and of coercing customers to prevent them from using AMD microprocessors. At 63 pages, the Intel rebuttal was 15 pages longer than the lawsuit itself.
"The claims are factually incorrect and contradictory," Intel states in its response, filed in US District Court in Delaware.
"The evidence will show that every failure and setback for which AMD today seeks to blame Intel is actually a direct result of AMD's own actions or inactions," Intel said.
Intel, of Santa Clara, California, has more than 80 percent of the unit sales and 90 percent of the revenues in the market for so-called x86 microprocessors.
In its lawsuit, AMD contends that its share of x86 unit sales peaked in 2001 at 20.8 percent and then declined to 15.8 percent by last year despite its technical advances -- a decline it attributes to unfair business practices by Intel.
But in its response, Intel alleges that AMD's real motivation is to keep prices high, which would harm consumers.
"AMD seeks to impede Intel's ability to lower prices and thereby to allow AMD to charge higher prices," Intel said.
Intel's response describes a range of business missteps that it says AMD made, resulting in its current market position.
Most notably, Intel contends that AMD did not invest enough in new plants in recent years to stay competitive and is therefore "capacity constrained" -- meaning it is selling all the chips it can make -- rather than being improperly limited by any actions on Intel's part.
AMD's action also alleges that Intel used illegal tactics to persuade dozens of companies -- including Dell, Sony and Toshiba -- not to use AMD chips.
In its response on Thursday, Intel called AMD's claims contradictory, since AMD currently does business with many of those same companies.
AMD, based in Sunnyvale, California, has not indicated what damages it is seeking. But regardless of the outcome, the lawsuit is expected to take years to litigate and involve hundreds of witnesses and documents.
"We believe this will be one of the largest pieces of litigation in US history," said Bruce Sewell, Intel's chief counsel, given the scope and the number of documents and witnesses involved. Sewell said he expected the discovery portion of the case to take a year or more.
AMD lawyers said they planned to begin deposing witnesses next week.
AMD's lawsuit on June 27came after the Japanese Fair Trade Commission concluded in March that Intel had stifled competition there by offering rebates to five computer companies, including Toshiba and Sony, in exchange for their agreeing to limit purchases from AMD or Transmeta, another Intel rival. At the time, Intel said it disagreed with the outcome but would not contest it.
The European Commission is also investigating allegations of Intel misconduct there, and in July European regulators raided the offices of Intel and some of its customers in four countries, seeking evidence of illegal activity.
Tom McCoy, an AMD lawyer, said on Thursday that the ruling in Japan, along with the raids in Europe, added credibility to the company's complaints about Intel's practices.
"There is an obvious reason why there is a global investigation of Intel's business practices. That is because they are using their monopoly position to strengthen their monopoly," he said.
FORCED LABOR: Customs officials have seized a 11.8 tonne shipment of products made from human hair on suspicion they were produced by people facing human rights abuses Federal authorities in New York City on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officials said that 11.8 tonnes of hair products worth an estimated US$800,000 were in the shipment. “The production of these goods constitutes a very serious human rights violation, and the detention order is intended to send a clear and direct message to all entities seeking to do business with the United States that illicit and inhumane practices will not be tolerated in
JUST QUESTIONS: Expelled reporter Ai Kezhu said that every member of Southeast Television had complied with the law and had not appeared on any talk shows Two Chinese reporters yesterday left Taiwan after the government revoked their accreditation and ordered them to leave amid a probe into allegations that several Chinese media outlets have set up studios and produced political talk shows in Taiwan. The two reporters — Ai Kezhu (艾珂竹) and Lu Qiang (盧薔) — worked for Fujian Province-based Southeast Television and arrived in Taiwan in December last year. The Mainland Affairs Council has launched an investigation after local media reported that Chinese broadcasters — including China Central Television, Southeast Television and FJTV — had set up studios in Taipei and produced political talk shows. Council Deputy Minister
UPTICK IN NUMBERS: The Taipei deputy mayor said the city has services to assist new immigrants, but has established an office specifically to help those from Hong Kong The Taiwan-Hong Kong Services and Exchanges Office today officially opens, where it is to provide humanitarian assistance to Hong Kongers, after Beijing yesterday passed a controversial national security law for the territory. President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) expressed dismay over China’s passage of the law, saying that Beijing has broken its pledge to allow Hong Kong to maintain a high degree of autonomy for at least 50 years following its handover from the UK. “I feel extremely disappointed [about the law’s passage], which means China did not keep its promise to Hong Kong,” Tsai said in Taipei. Beijing’s “broken promise” also
‘BASELESS ACCUSATIONS’: Ker Chien-ming said it was not possible to drop Chen Chu’s nomination, while KMT lawmakers accused their DPP rivals of ‘homicidal behavior’ The Legislative Yuan is to vote on President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) nominations for the Control Yuan on July 17 after Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislators regained access to the legislative chamber yesterday after it was occupied by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers for about 19 hours. The Legislative Yuan had been scheduled to meet yesterday morning to discuss its planned extraordinary session, but more than 20 KMT lawmakers on Sunday afternoon broke into the main chamber and occupied the legislative speaker’s podium to protest Tsai’s nomination of former Presidential Office secretary-general Chen Chu (陳菊) to be Control Yuan president. The KMT caucus