Indians are likely to be using more cellphones than fixed lines by year-end as overall use of telephones soars, officials said yesterday.
Still, only 7 percent of the country's billion-plus population has any kind of telephone, despite India's technology boom and one of the world's largest telephone networks. But that compares with less than 1 percent less than a decade ago, the Ministry of Communication and Information Technology said yesterday.
The advent of cellular phones has allowed many Indians to bypass the state-run company, which in the past forced people to wait years for a connection if they weren't willing or able to pull strings and bribe officials.
"The share of mobile phones in the total number of telephones is ... more than 45 percent," a ministry statement said. "It is expected that by the end of the year, the number of mobile phones would be more than the fixed phones."
More than 2.8 million new phones of all kinds were added in April and May, 70 percent of them mobile, a marginal rise over the 2.6 million new phones during the same two months last year, the statement said.
At the end of May, India was estimated to have 79.4 million telephones -- 36.3 million of them cellular -- the ministry said, in a population estimated at 1.06 billion.
India began dismantling its monolithic telecommunications infrastructure in the 1990s. Private companies are now allowed to operate fixed and mobile networks and provide Internet services, in the US$8.6 billion telecommunications market.
The private sector controls 41 percent of the market, the ministry statement said.
In related news, Bharti Televentures, the largest private telecoms company, said yesterday it had awarded a US$50 millioncontract to Siemens to help run its growing mobile network.
Bharti gave the three-year contract to Siemens to manage three out of its 21 Airtel mobile network areas, covering 1,650 towns. Bharti has 6.5 million mobile subscribers and 544,900 fixed-line customers.
In February Bharti awarded a similar contract worth US$400 million to Ericsson to manage 13 of the 21 Airtel network areas.
FORCED LABOR: Customs officials have seized a 11.8 tonne shipment of products made from human hair on suspicion they were produced by people facing human rights abuses Federal authorities in New York City on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officials said that 11.8 tonnes of hair products worth an estimated US$800,000 were in the shipment. “The production of these goods constitutes a very serious human rights violation, and the detention order is intended to send a clear and direct message to all entities seeking to do business with the United States that illicit and inhumane practices will not be tolerated in
IRRESPONSIBLE ATTITUDES? Some experts say the NHI system does not do enough to educate the public, or pay doctors to talk to patients, about healthy lifestyles While the life expectancy of Taiwanese newborns in 2018 reached 80.69 years, the number of years people spent in poor health hit a record high at 8.41 years, Ministry of Health and Welfare statistics showed on Saturday. Healthy life expectancy is calculated by a person’s life expectancy minus the time they spend in ill health, such as the loss of mobility, disabilities and chronic disease, based on medical records and calculations about the years they live with disabilities. The number of years that Taiwanese spend in poor health is increasing slowly, but steadily, rising by 0.46 years, or five-and-a-half months, between 2012
UPTICK IN NUMBERS: The Taipei deputy mayor said the city has services to assist new immigrants, but has established an office specifically to help those from Hong Kong The Taiwan-Hong Kong Services and Exchanges Office today officially opens, where it is to provide humanitarian assistance to Hong Kongers, after Beijing yesterday passed a controversial national security law for the territory. President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) expressed dismay over China’s passage of the law, saying that Beijing has broken its pledge to allow Hong Kong to maintain a high degree of autonomy for at least 50 years following its handover from the UK. “I feel extremely disappointed [about the law’s passage], which means China did not keep its promise to Hong Kong,” Tsai said in Taipei. Beijing’s “broken promise” also
‘BASELESS ACCUSATIONS’: Ker Chien-ming said it was not possible to drop Chen Chu’s nomination, while KMT lawmakers accused their DPP rivals of ‘homicidal behavior’ The Legislative Yuan is to vote on President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) nominations for the Control Yuan on July 17 after Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislators regained access to the legislative chamber yesterday after it was occupied by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers for about 19 hours. The Legislative Yuan had been scheduled to meet yesterday morning to discuss its planned extraordinary session, but more than 20 KMT lawmakers on Sunday afternoon broke into the main chamber and occupied the legislative speaker’s podium to protest Tsai’s nomination of former Presidential Office secretary-general Chen Chu (陳菊) to be Control Yuan president. The KMT caucus