STMicroelectronics NV, Europe's largest semiconductor maker, is in talks with Asian cellular phone makers about supplying high-speed chips that allow handset users to take and send photographs and videos, executives said. \nThe company is trying to win a contract to supply its chips to a ``major'' Asian handset maker, said Aldo Romano, head of the company's telephone, computer and automotive products division, on the sidelines of a press conference in Milan. \nHe declined to say which companies STMicroelectronics was talking to or when a supply contract may be announced. \nSTMicroelectronics in May said it was working with rival Texas Instruments Inc, the world's biggest maker of microchips for mobile phones, to design semiconductors that will allow handset makers to include a broader range of capabilities, such as sending and storing video or music clips, in their phones. \nThat will put Geneva-based STMicroelectronics in competition with Qualcomm Inc, whose chips are the basis of mobile phones used by more than 145 million people, mainly in the US and Asia. STMicroelectronics and Texas Instruments are collaborating on chips using code-division multiple access technology, or CDMA, a technology developed by San Diego-based Qualcomm. \nSTMicroelectronics and Texas Instruments are cooperating with Nokia Oyj, the world's largest mobile-phone maker, to incorporate the new chips in its phones and begin selling them this quarter, they said in May. \nThe new chips will be available to other manufacturers for use in their handsets by the second half of next year, Romano said. \nQualcomm is trying to spread its dominance in sales of the chips it created to markets outside the US and Asia. by targeting the European market for so-called third-generation, or 3G, phones, chairman and chief executive officer Irwin Jacobs said in an interview earlier this month. CDMA technology is currently not used in Europe. \nExpanding in Europe will help San Diego-based Qualcomm grab 50 percent of the worldwide market for phones based on wideband code division multiple access technology, or WCDMA, Jacobs said. \nThat new technology will be the basis for the 3G services European operators are introducing. \nSTMicroelectronics doesn't expect that market to develop for "many years" and doesn't want to wait for 3G to reach Europe to challenge Qualcomm, Romano said. \n"We don't want to compete with Qualcomm in Europe," he said. "We want to compete with them worldwide, in Europe and Asia." \nThe company will present its strategy to compete in the CDMA market in September, Romano said. \nPasquale Pistorio, chairman and chief executive of STMicroelectronics, today said the company plans to expand beyond its the base of largest customers and increase sales to other companies. \nThe chipmaker currently gets about 20 percent of total sales from Nokia.
FORCED LABOR: Customs officials have seized a 11.8 tonne shipment of products made from human hair on suspicion they were produced by people facing human rights abuses Federal authorities in New York City on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officials said that 11.8 tonnes of hair products worth an estimated US$800,000 were in the shipment. “The production of these goods constitutes a very serious human rights violation, and the detention order is intended to send a clear and direct message to all entities seeking to do business with the United States that illicit and inhumane practices will not be tolerated in
JUST QUESTIONS: Expelled reporter Ai Kezhu said that every member of Southeast Television had complied with the law and had not appeared on any talk shows Two Chinese reporters yesterday left Taiwan after the government revoked their accreditation and ordered them to leave amid a probe into allegations that several Chinese media outlets have set up studios and produced political talk shows in Taiwan. The two reporters — Ai Kezhu (艾珂竹) and Lu Qiang (盧薔) — worked for Fujian Province-based Southeast Television and arrived in Taiwan in December last year. The Mainland Affairs Council has launched an investigation after local media reported that Chinese broadcasters — including China Central Television, Southeast Television and FJTV — had set up studios in Taipei and produced political talk shows. Council Deputy Minister
UPTICK IN NUMBERS: The Taipei deputy mayor said the city has services to assist new immigrants, but has established an office specifically to help those from Hong Kong The Taiwan-Hong Kong Services and Exchanges Office today officially opens, where it is to provide humanitarian assistance to Hong Kongers, after Beijing yesterday passed a controversial national security law for the territory. President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) expressed dismay over China’s passage of the law, saying that Beijing has broken its pledge to allow Hong Kong to maintain a high degree of autonomy for at least 50 years following its handover from the UK. “I feel extremely disappointed [about the law’s passage], which means China did not keep its promise to Hong Kong,” Tsai said in Taipei. Beijing’s “broken promise” also
‘BASELESS ACCUSATIONS’: Ker Chien-ming said it was not possible to drop Chen Chu’s nomination, while KMT lawmakers accused their DPP rivals of ‘homicidal behavior’ The Legislative Yuan is to vote on President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) nominations for the Control Yuan on July 17 after Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislators regained access to the legislative chamber yesterday after it was occupied by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers for about 19 hours. The Legislative Yuan had been scheduled to meet yesterday morning to discuss its planned extraordinary session, but more than 20 KMT lawmakers on Sunday afternoon broke into the main chamber and occupied the legislative speaker’s podium to protest Tsai’s nomination of former Presidential Office secretary-general Chen Chu (陳菊) to be Control Yuan president. The KMT caucus