WorldCom Inc offered an additional US$250 million in common stock to a proposed US$500 million accounting fraud penalty, hoping the sweetened offer will win court approval for the record settlement.
The revised settlement proposal, announced Wednesday, was reached with the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and is subject to a federal bankruptcy judge's approval.
WorldCom would issue the shares after the company reorganizes and its new stock is trading.
The new shares "would allow victims of the fraud to share in the potential upside of owning WorldCom common stock when it emerges from bankruptcy," the SEC said in a statement.
In May, WorldCom agreed to settle the SEC's civil fraud charges by paying US$500 million to shareholders who lost money because of the accounting fraud.
The additional funds were added to the settlement to address concerns raised by US District Judge Jed Rakoff, the New York judge overseeing the case.
The revised settlement has the support of WorldCom's creditors, the SEC said.
At a hearing last month, Rakoff said he was intrigued by the idea of MCI offering company stock as part of the settlement.
WorldCom chief financial officer Bob Blakely called the revised proposal "another significant step toward MCI's emergence from Chapter 11 expected this fall."
The company and SEC filed the revised settlement late Wednesday with both courts.
The previous settlement actually called for a US$1.5 billion fine, but the amount would be reduced to US$500 million as part of the company's bankruptcy case.
WorldCom, once among the fastest-growing and most aggressive players in the 1990s telecom and Internet boom, is accused of falsifying balance sheets to hide expenses and inflate earnings.
It filed for bankruptcy July of last year.
Critics of the initial settle-ment, including WorldCom competitors AT&T, Verizon Communications Inc. and SBC Communications Inc., urged Rakoff to reject the proposal and seek a harsher penalty.
Critics have called the settlement puny, given WorldCom's revenues and the scope of the financial fraud, which has soared to US$11 billion.
As part of its reorganization, WorldCom is asking the bankruptcy court for approval to change its name to MCI and to establish new headquarters in Ashburn, Virginia.
SCHEDULE: The delegation is due to meet with President Tsai Ing-wen this morning and witness the signing of an MOU on bilateral health cooperation in the afternoon US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar yesterday arrived in Taipei aboard a US government plane at the head of a delegation that is the highest-level visit by a US official since Washington switched diplomatic recognition to China in 1979. Azar’s flight landed at Taipei International Airport (Songshan airport) at 4:48pm, nearly one hour earlier than scheduled, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said. The apron where it landed is reserved for military aircraft, the Songshan Air Force Base Command said. The members of Azar’s delegation included HHS Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response Robert Kadlec, HHS Chief of Staff Brian
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would
‘CROSS-STRAIT CONSIDERATIONS’: Groups said that the Ministry of Education’s policies excluded Chinese and students should not be blocked over political issues The Taiwan International Student Movement yesterday said it would protest today outside the Ministry of Education in Taipei against a policy that excludes some Chinese students from returning to Taiwan amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Since June 17, the ministry has allowed foreign students from 19 “low risk” and “medium-low risk” countries and regions to enter Taiwan. On July 22, it announced that it was relaxing restrictions to include students from all countries and regions who are graduating this semester and on Wednesday it further expanded entry to students enrolled in degree programs. A letter sent by the ministry on Wednesday to universities did
The military last week sent “no small number” of Marine Corps officers to the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Island, 東沙群島) following reports of a Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) drill targeting the islands scheduled for this month. In an interview with Hong Kong’s Bauhinia Magazine published on Saturday last week, PLA National Defense University professor Li Daguang (李大光) confirmed that the Chinese army was planning to stage a simulated invasion of the Pratas Islands in the South China Sea this month. The islands comprise three atolls, with Pratas Island, at 1.74km2, being the largest. They lie southwest of Taiwan proper in the South