British police yesterday ruled out reopening an investigation into the death of Diana, Princess of Wales, in a Paris car crash in 1997 after examining an accusation the elite Special Air Service (SAS) commando regiment was involved in her death.
London’s Metropolitan Police said in August they were assessing new information about the deaths of Diana, Dodi Al Fayed and their driver after a high-speed car chase with paparazzi photographers through the streets of Paris.
Media reports at the time said the police had been passed new information from the parents-in-law of a former soldier.
“Whilst there is a possibility the alleged comments in relation to the SAS’ involvement in the deaths may have been made, there is no credible evidence to support a theory that such claims had any basis in fact,” police said in a statement on Monday.
The police concluded that there “is no evidential basis upon which to open any criminal investigation.”
Dodi’s father, Mohammed Al Fayed, the former owner of Harrods department store, alleged that the couple had been killed on the orders of the British establishment.
However, an investigation by a former head of London police, John Stevens, concluded there was no evidence of murder and that their driver, Henri Paul, had been drunk and going too fast.
A 2008 inquest in London returned a verdict of unlawful killing and said Paul and the photographers were to blame for the deaths on Aug. 31, 1997, in a Paris tunnel, but speculation has continued in tabloid newspapers of an assassination plot.