Rescue officials in Bangladesh yesterday said they had given up hope of finding more survivors from a garment factory complex that collapsed killing hundreds, as the government came under pressure to do more to enforce building safety standards.
At least 390 people have been confirmed dead in what is just the latest incident to raise serious questions about worker safety and low wages in the South Asian country that relies on garments for 80 percent of its exports.
Representatives of major international garment buyers — some facing sharp criticism in their home markets for doing too little to safeguard the mostly female workers making their clothes — met industry representatives on Monday and agreed to form a joint panel to put together a new safety plan.
With no hope left of finding further survivors, heavy machinery has been brought in to clear the mass of concrete and debris from the site in the commercial suburb of Savar, about 30km from Dhaka.
However, the operation remained agonizingly slow for the dozens of relatives still awaiting news of missing loved ones six days after the illegally constructed Rana Plaza building came crashing down as about 3,000 people worked inside.
“What’s the use of using heavy equipment if they cannot find the dead bodies?” asked a grief-stricken father who, like many others, has been waiting on the streets near the site hoping for information about his son, who worked in a garment factory.
As anger continued over the country’s worst industrial accident, the owner of the collapsed building was brought before a court in Dhaka on Monday, where lawyers and protesters chanted “hang him, hang him.”
About 20 people were injured yesterday as police fired teargas, rubber bullets and water cannon to disperse protesters in Savar calling for the death penalty for the owners of the building and factories.
Two Western retailers supplied by factories at Rana Plaza, Britain’s Primark and Canada’s Loblaw, have promised to compensate families of garment workers killed while making their clothes.
About 2,500 people have been rescued from the ruins of the building, but hundreds more remain unaccounted for.
Officials in Bangladesh have said the eight-story complex had been built on swampy ground without the correct permits, and more than 3,000 workers — most of them young women — entered the building in the morning on Wednesday last week, despite warnings that it was structurally unsafe.
On Monday, representatives of about 45 companies, including Gap, H&M, Inditex, JC Penny, Marks & Spencer, Nike, Primark, Tesco, Wal-Mart and Li & Fung met officials from the Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association to discuss safety.
Some foreign buyers have said that while they can make efforts to ensure decent working conditions, it is up to the authorities to enforce building safety standards.
“There is a law, but due to lack of implementation and severe manpower shortages such unlawful buildings are being constructed,” said Roger Hubert, vice president of Li & Fung. “They have substandard building plans, lack of fire safety, and other compliance issues.”
Eight people have been arrested — four factory bosses, two engineers, building owner Mohammed Sohel Rana and his father, Abdul Khalek. Police are looking for a fifth factory boss, Spanish citizen David Mayor, although it was unclear whether he was in Bangladesh at the time of the accident.
The High Court yesterday ordered the seizure of property belonging to Rana and four others.
The International Labour Organization (ILO), a UN agency, said it was sending a high-level mission to Bangladesh in coming days.
“Horror and regret must translate into firm action,” ILO Director-General Guy Ryder said. “Action now can prevent further tragedy.”