International donors on Monday pledged 1.15 billion euros (US$1.25 billion) to help Albania recover from a powerful earthquake in November last year, the EU head announced, more than double the sum expected by Tirana.
Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama said the sum — which exceeds the total recovery bill of 1.08 billion euros assessed by the UN — was “beyond my wildest imagination,” having begun the day hoping for pledges of only 400 million euros.
The money would help the impoverished Balkan state rebuild and recover after the magnitude 6.4 quake hit, killing 51 people and leaving 17,000 homeless.
“Good news for the people of Albania: We’ve surpassed our target for the reconstruction of Albania and reached a total of 1.15 billion euros, incl. 400 million euros in EU contributions,” European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen tweeted.
“I’m overwhelmed by the support. Once again Europe stands together when it matters most!” she wrote.
European states and institutions contributed, along with other countries, including Turkey and the United Arab Emirates, as well as international financial institutions.
“I am so happy and I am so, so humbled by all of this. We need now not to fail our friends and to make reconstruction in Albania a stunning example,” Rama said.
Given Western concerns about rife corruption in Albania, Rama said that he had asked the US to put its contribution into an “academy of transparency” to ensure the reconstruction money was not misused.
“We’ll go through the necessary pains to make sure every penny of European taxpayers ... will be spent well,” he said.
Part of the reason the quake caused so much damage, experts say, was the scourge of illegal construction, which has seen builders and engineers in the former communist state flout safety codes for decades.
Rama said that “what we reconstruct should be better than what we lost,” suggesting that new earthquake resistance and environmental standards could be imposed.
Before the pledge meeting, Albanian expectations had been dampened by what Rama called a “political earthquake” in October last year, when three EU states blocked Tirana from starting membership talks to join the bloc — the second such delay in less than six months.
France — which led the Netherlands and Denmark in October’s veto — softened its opposition at the weekend after the European Commission proposed a tougher and more political admissions process for new members.
French President Emmanuel Macron said that if a commission report on Albania and fellow hopeful North Macedonia next month confirms enough progress on reforms, he would be ready to agree to start the long accession process.
A coronavirus-free tropical island nestled in the northern Pacific might seem the perfect place to ride out a pandemic, but residents on Palau said that life right now is far from idyllic. The microstate of 18,000 people is among a dwindling number of places on Earth that still report zero cases of COVID-19 as figures mount daily elsewhere. The disparate group also includes Samoa, Turkmenistan, North Korea and bases on the frozen continent of Antarctica. A dot in the ocean hundreds of kilometers from its nearest neighbors, Palau is surrounded by the vast Pacific Ocean, which has acted as a buffer against the
Dutch scientists have found the coronavirus in a city’s wastewater before COVID-19 cases were reported, demonstrating a novel early warning system for the disease. SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 — is often excreted in an infected person’s stool. Although it is unlikely that sewage will become an important route of transmission, the pathogen’s increasing circulation in communities would increase the amount of it flowing into sewer systems, Gertjan Medema and colleagues at the KWR Water Research Institute in Nieuwegein said on Monday. They detected genetic material from the coronavirus at a wastewater treatment plant in Amersfoort on March 5, before
‘LIKE A CASSANDRA’: Chinese residents of Prato went into self-imposed lockdown and warned their Italian neighbors about what was coming, but were ignored In the storm of infection and death sweeping Italy, one big community stands out to health officials as remarkably unscathed — the 50,000 ethnic Chinese who live in the town of Prato. Two months ago, the country’s Chinese residents were the target of what Amnesty International described as shameful discrimination, the butt of insults and violent attacks by people who feared that they would spread the coronavirus through Italy. However, in the Tuscan town of Prato, home to Italy’s single biggest Chinese community, the opposite has been true. Once scapegoats, they are now held up by authorities as a model for early,
TRUE TOLL? Some Chinese are skeptical about official data, particularly given the overwhelmed medical system and initial attempts to cover up the outbreak The long lines and stacks of urns greeting family members of the dead at funeral homes in Wuhan, China, are spurring questions about the true scale of casualties at the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, renewing pressure on a Chinese government struggling to control its containment narrative. The families of those who succumbed to the coronavirus in the city, where the disease first emerged, were allowed to pick up their cremated ashes at eight funeral homes last week. As they did, photographs circulated on Chinese social media of thousands of urns being ferried in. Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500