Norwegian police said they arrested an armed man who stole an ambulance in Oslo on Tuesday, then ran down and slightly injured four pedestrians, including twin babies.
His motivations were not immediately known, but the Oslo police said on Twitter they had “no information for now indicating that this is terror-related.”
“What was the purpose? What was the motive? We cannot answer this at such an early stage of the investigation,” senior Oslo police officer Grete Lien Metlid said at a news conference.
Police confirmed they had also arrested a woman linked to the male suspect accused of attempted murder.
Prior to the rampage, the pair — who both have criminal records — had been involved in another accident, during which their vehicle overturned.
When emergency services arrived at the scene, the man stole the ambulance while the woman fled.
“According to testimonies and observations, the suspect deliberately drove on the sidewalk to randomly hit victims,” Oslo Police Deputy Commissioner Johan Fredriksen said.
The incident took place in a residential neighborhood in northern Oslo. Students at a nearby school and daycare center were ordered to remain indoors for hours.
During his rampage, the man hit a woman with a baby stroller carrying seven-month-old twins, and an elderly couple had to throw themselves out of the way.
The woman and the babies had to be taken to a hospital, but escaped without any severe injuries.
“Fortunately we can now confirm that the two twins ... are considered to have minor injuries,” the Oslo University Hospital said in a Twitter post.
The man also fired a gun from behind the wheel of the ambulance at the officers dispatched to stop him.
After the ambulance crashed into a building, police arrested the 32-year-old Norwegian man who was already known to police.
Officers later also detained the woman, a 25-year-old Norwegian who appeared to be “under the influence” at the time of the first accident.
Investigators said they had found two firearms, one shotgun and an Uzi submachine gun, and suspected narcotics at the scene where the ambulance was stolen.
In their attempts to stop the driver, police opened fire several times and the ambulance then crashed into a gate outside a residential building.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative