Rare small protests on Friday broke out in Cairo and other Egyptian cities calling for the removal of Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi, but police quickly dispersed them, journalists reported.
Dozens of people joined night-time demonstrations around Tahrir Square — the epicenter of the 2011 revolution that toppled the country’s long-time autocratic leader.
Such demonstrations are rare after Egypt effectively banned protests under a law passed following the 2013 military ouster of then-Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi, an Islamist.
Amid a heavy security presence, including riot police and plainclothes police officers, protesters were rounded up.
Journalists saw at least five protesters being arrested and police firing tear gas at demonstrators around the square.
Under the rule of general-turned-president al-Sisi, who led Morsi’s ouster, authorities have launched a broad crackdown on dissidents, jailing thousands of Islamists as well as secular activists and popular bloggers.
Footage of the demonstrations, in which dozens chant “Leave Sisi,” was shared online using the hashtag #Tahrir_Square, which was trending worldwide.
Along the road overlooking the Nile, close to the square, journalists reported seeing small groups of people chanting anti-al-Sisi slogans after the rapid dispersal.
The protests come on the back of Mohamed Ali, a disgruntled exiled Egyptian businessman, demanding the toppling of al-Sisi.
The construction contractor has been posting viral videos from Spain since the beginning of the month accusing al-Sisi and the military of rampant corruption.
Al-Sisi flatly denied the allegations last week at a youth conference assuring Egyptians he “was honest and faithful” to his people and the military.
In his latest video posted early on Friday morning on his growing social media accounts, Ali urged Egyptians to head to the streets after a highly anticipated football match between Cairo powerhouses Al Ahly and Zamalek.
Widely shared videos online have also shown scattered protests varying in numbers in Alexandria, al-Mahalla, Damietta and Suez.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against