Christchurch police yesterday launched an urgent investigation to find out whether a man who died after an early morning standoff with armed officers had links to the mosque attacks that killed 50 people.
Police raided the 54-year-old man’s home on Tuesday night and found a cache of firearms after receiving a tip-off from the public about “suspicious behavior.”
They stopped the man in his vehicle in the Richmond Park area, just outside central Christchurch, and began negotiations that lasted for about three hours.
Police eventually approached the vehicle and found the man critically injured with a stab wound that soon claimed his life. They did not explain how he got the wound.
They said there were no firearms in the vehicle, which was also cleared by explosives experts.
“A high priority investigation is underway to determine whether or not the deceased man posed a threat to the community,” police said.
With the South Island city on alert after the massacre less than two weeks ago, police said they would also look for any links to the mosque attacks.
“At this time there is no evidence to suggest this person had any involvement in the attacks of March 15, however this forms an important part of the investigation,” they said.
Christchurch is to host a national memorial for the attack victims tomorrow.
It comes as New Zealand Minister of Justice Andrew Little said he was allowing spy agencies to carry out “intrusive” activities following the gun rampage.
The government this week ordered a judicial inquiry into whether the intelligence services could have prevented the attack amid criticism the white supremacist gunman went unnoticed as they were too focused on Muslim extremists.
Little said he had signed powerful surveillance warrants as information gathering continued in the wake of the attack.
“I have given authority to the agencies to do intrusive activities under warrant, the number of those [warrants] I’m not at liberty to disclose,” he told Radio New Zealand.
Little said intelligence services typically monitored 30 to 40 people, but that number had now increased, although he was unwilling to reveal by how much.
He said a warrant permitted anything from physical surveillance to the monitoring of telecommunications activity.
“The whole gambit of what would otherwise be described as intrusive activity,” he told the New Zealand Herald.
Little denied New Zealand had proved a “soft target” for the accused gunman, an Australian with apparent links to right-wing groups who reportedly moved to the nation with the intention of carrying out an attack.
Little said he maintained confidence in the intelligence services, adding it was “premature” to say they had failed until the inquiry into their actions was complete.
An Australian university student who has never visited China and has only a modest social media following would seem an unlikely target for the Chinese government. However, when a Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman personally denounced Drew Pavlou at a news conference, it was just the next phase in an extraordinary campaign against the 21-year-old that has fueled concerns over China’s targeting of critics overseas. Pavlou first placed himself in the superpower’s sights when in July last year he organized a small sit-in at the University of Queensland, where he studies, to protest against various Chinese government policies. Since then, the Global
‘ASKED TO MOVE OUT’: Indonesian coast guard personnel argued with a Chinese vessel over territorial claims after it entered the country’s exclusive economic zone An Indonesian patrol ship confronted a Chinese coast guard vessel that spent almost three days in waters where Indonesia claims economic rights and that are near the southernmost part of China’s disputed claims to the South China Sea. The Indonesian Maritime Security Agency on Friday night detected Chinese ship 5204 entering Indonesia’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in what Indonesia calls the North Natuna Sea. The agency sent a patrol ship that closed within 1km of the Chinese coast guard vessel and they communicated to affirm their position and their nation’s claims to the area, Indonesian Maritime Security Agency head Aan Kurnia said. “We
BEFORE WINTER COMES: Snow cuts off roads into Ladakh for four months or more each year, so the crunch is on to get food, tents and high-altitude equipment to Leh From deploying mules to large transport aircraft, the Indian military has activated its entire logistics network to transport supplies to thousands of troops for a harsh winter along a bitterly disputed Himalayan border with China. In the past few months, one of India’s biggest military logistics exercises in years has brought vast quantities of ammunition, equipment, fuel, winter supplies and food into Ladakh, a region bordering Tibet that India administers as a union territory, officials said. The move was triggered by a border standoff with China in the snow deserts of Ladakh that began in May and escalated in June into hand-to-hand
Since her personal telephone number was posted online, Hong Kong democracy advocate and Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions chairperson Carol Ng has received menacing calls from strangers and been bombarded with messages calling her a “cockroach.” She is not alone. A sophisticated and shady Web site called HK Leaks has ramped up its “doxxing” — where people’s personal details are published online — of Hong Kong democracy advocates, targeting those it says have broken Hong Kong’s National Security Law. Promoted by groups linked to the Chinese Chinese Communist Party and hosted on Russia-based servers, HK Leaks has become the most prominent “doxxing”