Polish nationalist movement Ruch Narodowy (RN) on Tuesday said it had filed a complaint with prosecutors against the Israeli president under Poland’s controversial new Holocaust law for having attributed responsibility to Poland for Nazi German crimes.
It follows a press statement released by Israeli President Reuven Rivlin’s office last week after his meeting with Polish President Andrzej Duda in Poland’s southern city of Krakow on the occasion of the annual March of the Living at the site of the former Nazi German death camp Auschwitz-Birkenau.
According to the statement, Rivlin had said during the talks: “There is no doubt that there were many Poles who fought the Nazi regime, but we cannot deny that Poland and Poles had a hand in the extermination.”
The RN movement said Rivlin “had attributed responsibility for Nazi crimes to the Polish state,” which is forbidden under the new Holocaust law.
The legislation, which came into effect last month penalizes such statements with fines or a jail term of up to three years.
The Israeli statement “requires quick and effective judicial proceedings and a serious penalty, both in terms of general prevention measures and public expectations,” the RN wrote on its Web site. “The author acted with the goal of consciously and intentionally committing a forbidden act.”
The RN said it lodged the complaint with the IPN Institute of National Remembrance, which is charged with prosecuting Nazi and communist-era crimes.
Poland’s Holocaust law was meant to protect the country from false accusations of complicity in the Holocaust.
However, it has drawn strong criticism from Israel and Jewish organizations, which accused Warsaw of denying the participation of certain Poles in the genocide of Jews.
Israel also expressed deep concern that the law could open the door to prosecuting Holocaust survivors for their testimony.
During World War II, Poland was invaded by Nazi Germany and ceased to exist as a state. Six million Poles, half of them Jews, were killed during this period.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses