Tue, Apr 10, 2018 - Page 6 News List

Japanese official tells of effort for land cover story

ABE’S TRAVAILS:The scandal over the sale of state-owned land to a school drags on, while a new poll found growing disapproval of the Cabinet

Reuters, TOKYO

The Japanese Ministry of Finance proposed crafting a cover story with a school operator at the heart of a political scandal to justify a discount in the price of public land sold to the school, a ministry official said yesterday.

The admission is likely to increase opposition parties’ calls for Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to resign over the scandal involving the sale of state-owned land to school operator Moritomo Gakuen, which had ties to Abe’s wife.

The affair, along with other government missteps, is clouding Abe’s chance of winning a third three-year term as leader of his Liberal Democratic Party in September.

Following reports of the cover story, Abe yesterday repeated earlier statements in parliament that he and his wife were not involved in the land sale and said there is no evidence indicating they were involved.

Abe has also said in the past he would resign if he or his wife were found to be involved.

“Last year on Feb. 20 a finance bureau employee contacted Moritomo Gakuen’s lawyer ... and suggested saying a lot of money was spent on the removal of rubbish and thousands of trucks were used,” Mitsuru Ota, head of the ministry’s finance bureau, told parliament.

“Moritomo’s lawyer did not take any action on this phone call. It was wrong for us to ask Moritomo Gakuen to say something that was not true,” Ota said, adding that the attempt to cook up a story was “highly embarrassing.”

Ota’s comments confirmed a report by public broadcaster NHK last week and followed a March 12 admission by the ministry that it had altered documents relating to the land sale.

The plot of land in Osaka was appraised to be worth ¥956 million (US$8.95 million), but the ministry granted Gakuen an ¥820 million discount. It originally said the sale was appropriate and was heavily discounted to offset the costs of removing a lot of rubbish buried on the plot.

Prosecutors in Osaka arrested the operator of Moritomo Gakuen and his wife in July last year on suspicion of illegally receiving government subsidies.

The Japanese National Board of Audit, which is independent of the Cabinet and has the authority to investigate spending by government agencies, said in November last year that there was not enough evidence to support the heavy discount.

That increased speculation that Moritomo Gakuen’s operator used his ties with Abe’s wife to secure the discount.

The fresh revelation comes on the heels of another scandal that is also eroding Abe’s support rates.

Abe’s minister of defense said last week that the army last year had found activity logs from a controversial 2004 to 2006 deployment to Iraq, but had failed to report them to his predecessor.

Abe has apologized for the Ministry of Defense’s failure to disclose activity logs.

A survey by broadcaster Japan News Network published yesterday showed voters who disapproved of Abe’s Cabinet rose 5 points to 58.4 percent and supporters fell 9.3 points to 40.0 percent, the first negative rating in six months.

This story has been viewed 1154 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top