Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha yesterday said that he would use a special order that gives the military sweeping powers to lift a ban on political activity that has been in place since a 2014 coup, paving the way for a general election next year.
Major political parties had urged the government for months to lift the ban to allow parties to prepare for the vote and the announcement won some applause from government critics.
Prayuth, who is also head of the junta, has said that Thailand will hold an election in November next year — news that was largely welcomed by investors in Southeast Asia’s second-biggest economy.
“The government will have to use Article 44 to solve this problem [political activity deadlock],” Prayuth told reporters, referring to a constitutional clause that grants the military absolute powers.
Prayuth did not say when the order would take effect.
According to the usual procedure, executive orders must be published in the Royal Gazette before they can become law.
Thanawut Wichaidit, spokesman for the red-shirt United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship which opposes military rule and has made statements critical of the junta, said the announcement was “the first step for elections and democracy.”
“It’s definitely a good thing,” he said, adding that the junta should lift a ban on public gatherings.
The military has been running Thailand since the May 2014 coup, when it ousted the civilian government of then-prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra, ending years of political turmoil, including street protests for and against the government.
A coup in 2006 ousted Yingluck’s brother, then-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, whose supporters have dominated the polls since 2001.
The 2014 coup saw some Western countries downgrade ties with Bangkok.
Earlier this month, the EU said it would resume political contact “at all levels” with Thailand after putting relations on hold.
That announcement came after Prayuth in October said that a general election would he held next November.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday