Qatar has sent only dozens of its citizens across the border to Saudi Arabia for this week’s hajj pilgrimage to Islam’s holiest sites because of the increasingly bitter crisis between the Gulf neighbors.
The annual pilgrimage, that draws 2 million Muslim faithful from across the globe and this year starts today, has become embroiled in a dispute between Doha and Riyadh now nearing its third month.
Qatar’s only land border, which it shares with Saudi Arabia, has been closed and travel, diplomatic and economic sanctions imposed over charges that Doha supports Muslim militants and has too close ties to Riyadh’s regional rival Iran.
Doha has strongly denied the accusations.
Impacting on the hajj, only a few dozen Qataris have been able to travel to Mecca and Medina, western Saudi Arabia, according to a member of the state-linked Qatari National Human Rights Committee (NHRC).
“Through the border, we estimate 60 to 70 people [traveled] last week,” he told reporters. “It’s not an official figure, we are waiting for an official figure.”
Media reports in Saudi Arabia have put the number at up to 1,200 Qataris.
In sharp contrast, according to the state-run Qatar News Agency, 12,000 Qataris took part in last year’s hajj, a pillar of Islam that capable Muslims must perform at least once in their lives.
Saudi Arabia temporarily suspended the border closure on Aug. 17, when it announced Qatari pilgrims would be allowed into the kingdom for the hajj.
With flights between Qatar and Saudi Arabia suspended and Qatar Airways banned from using Saudi airspace, Riyadh had offered to ferry pilgrims using exclusively Saudi Arabian Airlines aircraft.
However, the offer soon became mired in the diplomatic spat, with Qatar saying that Saudi authorities had politicized a religious right.
The Saudi carrier accused Qatar of refusing to allow its aircraft to land in the emirate on the grounds that they lacked “the right paperwork.”
In response, Qatar said the Saudi airline had lodged the papers with the wrong government department.
The decision to reopen the border came one day after a surprise meeting between Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and a little-known member of the Qatari royal family, sparking allegations that Riyadh was seeking regime change in Doha.
In past years, most Qatari pilgrims traveled to Mecca, crossing the width of Saudi Arabia, in officially-sanctioned groups.
Those who crossed into Saudi Arabia this year have traveled privately, ignoring official Qatari warnings over the treatment they could receive in the kingdom.
Doha has said it is worried about potential “harassment” of Qatari pilgrims who make the journey to Mecca.
About 2,400 pilgrims were originally due to travel from Qatar through official operators, although 24,000 people had applied, according to the NHRC.
The committee said eight companies, which planned to transport pilgrims, had lost 30 million riyals (US$8 million) in potential earnings due to the Saudi “restrictions.”
Qatar has said it would seek billions of US dollars in compensation for the sanctions enforced since June by Saudi Arabia and its allies, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt.
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
LIFELONG LOSS: Jiro Hamasumi, who was not quite born when an atomic bomb hit Hiroshima, lost his father and other relatives, but said he thinks about his father daily As Japan marks 75 years since the devastating attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the last generation of nuclear bomb survivors is working to ensure their message lives on after them. The “hibakusha” — literally “person affected by the bomb” — have for decades been a powerful voice calling for the abolition of nuclear weapons. There are an estimated 136,700 left, many of whom were infants or soon to be born at the time of the attacks. The average age of a survivor now is a little over 83, according to the Japanese Ministry of Health, lending an urgency as they share their testimonies