Eight people were still missing on Thursday after a massive landslide swept away a mountainside in the Swiss Alps, ripping apart buildings and forcing the evacuation of a village.
The landslide, which struck on Wednesday, sent mud, rocks and dirt flooding down the Piz Cengalo mountain into the outskirts of the village of Bondo, near the Italian border.
About 100 people were evacuated, some airlifted out by helicopters.
Police confirmed that eight hikers from Germany, Austria and Switzerland had been in the region of Val Bondasca, where the landslide occurred, and were missing.
There had been fears about another six people who had been unaccounted for, but Graubunden police spokeswoman Chiarella Piana later told reporters that they had been found safe on the Italian side of the border.
No children were believed to be among the missing, Andrea Mittner of the Graubunden police told a news conference.
Images showed an unstoppable mass of thick mud and sludge moving down the mountainside like lava, tearing up trees and demolishing at least one building in its path, and partially engulfing others.
“It was terrible,” Elisa Nunzi, 27, who witnessed the landslide from her home in a neighboring higher-altitude village, told Swiss daily Blick.
She said she first noticed something was amiss when a large flock of birds began flying nervously around the church tower, and then an ear-deafening bang that sent rocks pouring down the mountain.
“There were so many. It did not stop,” she said, adding that a blanket of smoke and dust soon covered Bondo.
“You could not see anything for an hour, but you could still hear stones falling down. It smelled of granite,” Nunzi said.
Christian Speck, manager of a hotel in Soglio, a few kilometers from Bondo, told reporters that “at breakfast time, my customers and I saw rocks come loose from the mountain side and slide towards Bondo, in a huge cloud of smoke. I immediately warned the commune.”
Mittner said a massive search-and-rescue operation was scouring a 5km2 area, involving about 120 emergency workers, helicopters and rescue dogs.
Police and residents said mobile phone coverage in the area was spotty, which might explain why the missing had not been in touch.
The landslide set 4 million cubic meters of mud and debris in motion, its relentless moving mass stretching 500m across, according to the regional natural hazards office.
The event was so severe that the vibrations set off seismometers across Switzerland, which measured the equivalent of a magnitude 3 earthquake, according to the Swiss Seismological Service.
Police said 12 farm buildings, including barns and stables, had been destroyed, while Graubunden’s main southern highway was closed to traffic.
The Austrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed that a couple from the country was missing, while Blick reported that four of those being searched for were Germans.
About 100 people had been evacuated from Bondo and surrounding villages, as well as from Alpine cabins, amid fears of fresh landslides.
Simona Rauch, a Protestant minister at a church in Val Bregaglia, a valley that groups several villages including Bondo, told reporters that residents did not expect to be gone so long.
“People left immediately, leaving everything behind. They didn’t bring anything, because they thought they would be returning quickly,” she said. “No one expected this kind of catastrophe.”
The evacuees were being housed in private homes and in nearby hotels, including in the village of Castasegna on the Italian border.
Wednesday’s landslide was not the first to hit Piz Cengalo.
A large landslide in 2011, which according to Graubunden police was about a third of the size of the latest one, poured down the mountainside and landed in an uninhabited valley.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses