A man accused of the gang rape and murder of a girl in northern India has been killed in police custody, an official said yesterday, sparking angry riots in the usually tranquil Himalayan region.
Hundreds of protesters furious over the police handling of the case chanted “we want justice” in the popular tourist hill resort of Shimla, with businesses remaining closed in some parts of Himachal Pradesh state.
There have been vigils and strikes across the region since the 16-year-old victim was found naked and mutilated in a forest, with many accusing police of bungling the investigation.
Tensions escalated further after a suspect held for the gruesome crime was killed in his cell by another inmate during a scuffle.
Nepalese Suraj Singh, struck his head against the wall “and was taken to hospital where he was declared dead,” police inspector general Z.H. Zaidi said.
News of Singh’s death triggered fury, with rioters torching a police station and vehicles.
The brutality of the crime shocked residents in Himachal Pradesh, a Himalayan state with some of India’s lowest rates of sexual violence, and prompted calls for a swift investigation.
An autopsy confirmed the girl was gang raped and strangled. She sustained severe injuries in the assault, including a broken leg.
Six men were arrested, but those calling for swift justice said the main culprits were still at large.
“The main accused is roaming free. How can anyone die in police custody?” one protester in Shimla told Indian broadcaster NDTV.
India has a gruesome record on rape. Nearly 40,000 rape cases are reported every year, but the real number is thought to be much higher, with victims wary of how their complaints will be handled.
Nearly 2,200 rapes were registered in 2015 in the capital, New Delhi — an average of six per day.
Himachal Pradesh recorded 244 rapes that same year, among the lowest rates in India.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of
The Philippine army chief yesterday expressed outrage over the fatal police shooting of four soldiers, including two officers, and demanded justice, as both sides provided contrasting accounts of the killings. Philippine Secretary of the Interior and Local Government Eduardo Ano, a retired military chief of staff who now oversees the national police, ordered that the police involved in Monday’s violence in Jolo in Sulu Province be disarmed and restricted for investigation. Police said the soldiers were killed in a “misencounter” with a group of police officers. The army said that the two officers and two enlisted men were on a mission against