Three people including a young Frenchwoman were killed and nine wounded on Saturday when an explosion rocked an upscale Bogota mall, as Colombia’s only active guerrilla group condemned the blast.
Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos said there were “no clear indications” who was behind the explosion, emphasizing that those responsible would be captured and held accountable.
“Terrorists are not going to change our ways,” he said at the scene of the attack, urging Colombians to continue “normal life” and enjoy the Father’s Day holiday on yesterday.
One Frenchwoman, 23, died in the attack, according to the city’s mayor.
Two Colombians also died and a 48-year-old Frenchwoman was among the injured, the Clinic of the Country said in a statement.
Bogota Mayor Enrique Penalosa also said authorities could not confirm “which group could be responsible” for the blast, but it was “clearly a cowardly terrorist attack.”
Police said that at about 5:00 pm the explosion tore through a restroom in the Centro Andino Mall, crowded with shoppers ahead of Father’s Day and located in an upscale area of the Colombian capital that is popular with foreigners.
“A device” was placed “behind one of the toilets in the women’s bathroom” in the shopping center, Colombian National Police Director-general Jorge Nieto told reporters.
Michael Montoya, who works in a pastry shop on the third floor, told reporters that “we were tending to customers and we heard an explosion on the second floor.”
After heading to the scene he said he and his colleague saw people crying and bloodstained.
“It was in the bathrooms because some women came out crying,” he said. “There was a lot of smoke and security people told us to evacuate.”
Police, ambulances and firefighters swiftly arrived at the scene, popular for its bars, restaurants and nightclubs.
Santos said the mall was to open normally yesterday.
The Frenchwoman who died had spent six months working in a school in a poor neighborhood, Bogota’s mayor said.
French Ambassador to Colombia Gautier Mignot confirmed the death of the 23-year-old and told a Bogota radio station that “the young woman was apparently in the company of her mother.”
Colombia is still grappling with a civil conflict that has lasted more than half a century between guerrilla fighters, paramilitary groups and state forces — leaving at least 260,000 dead, 60,000 missing and 7.1 million displaced.
The government is seeking a “complete peace” after reaching a peace accord last year with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC).
The ELN, with 1,500 fighters, is the last guerrilla group still active in the country, but was quick to condemn the attack.
“ELN_Paz condemns this deplorable incident,” the group wrote on Twitter, adding that the attack was “against civilians.”
“We share the pain and stand in solidarity with the victims,” the group wrote. “The state should investigate thoroughly to identify those responsible.”
FARC Commander-in-Chief Rodrigo Londono — known as Timochenko — also denounced the explosion.
“Solidarity with the victims of today in Bogota,” he wrote on Twitter. “This act can only come from those who want to close the roads of peace and reconciliation.”
The blast was the second major attack this year in the Colombian capital.
In February the ELN claimed responsibility for a bombing at a bullring in Bogota, which killed a police officer and wounded more than 20 people.
THE ANSWER? The drug uses neutralizing antibodies produced by the human immune system, which the team isolated from the blood of 60 recovered patients A Chinese laboratory has been developing a drug it believes has the power to bring the COVID-19 pandemic to a halt. A drug being tested by scientists at Peking University could not only shorten the recovery time for those infected, but even offer short-term immunity from the coronavirus, researchers said. Sunney Xie (謝曉亮), director of the university’s Beijing Advanced Innovation Center for Genomics, said that the drug had been successful in animal testing. “When we injected neutralizing antibodies into infected mice, after five days the viral load was reduced by a factor of 2,500,” Xie said. “That means this potential drug has [a]
It was a much-anticipated milestone likely hastened by COVID-19: New Zealand has reached a population of 5 million people, after citizens and residents rushed home when borders began to close due to the pandemic. New Zealand grew from 4 million to 5 million in 17 years, the quickest rate of growth in the nation’s modern history, Statistics New Zealand said. Migration has been the chief driver for the population of the island-nation, which increased by half a million people in the past six years alone. “The global COVID-19 pandemic has caused unusual international travel and migration patterns in recent months,” Statistics New
‘SERIOUS QUESTIONS’: Three US senators sent a letter to the US commerce secretary asking whether the project ‘takes into consideration national security requirements’ US Senator Chuck Schumer and two other Democratic colleagues have written to top US administration officials asking for details of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd’s (TSMC) plan to build a US$12 billion fab in Arizona. Hsinchu-based TSMC on Thursday last week announced that it would build a plant to make 5 nanometer chips by 2024 that would have the capacity to produce 20,000 semiconductor wafers per month. The world’s biggest contract chipmaker already has one chipmaking fab in Camas, Washington, and design centers in Austin, Texas, and San Jose, California. It said it planned to start construction in Arizona next year and
MOM’S LONG CAMPAIGN: Mao Yin had been brought up in Mianyang, Sichuan Province, without any idea that he was the target of a decades-long, high-profile search A Chinese man who was stolen from his family as a toddler has been reunited with his parents after 32 years. Mao Yin (毛寅), then two-and-a-half years old, was snatched in 1988 when he was walking home from nursery with his father. His parents finally embraced him again on Monday in Xian, where he was born. After Mao vanished, his mother Li Jingzhi (李靜芝) quit her job and launched a decades-long search for her son, that included sending out more than 100,000 flyers and appearing on numerous TV shows. That long campaign helped 29 other families find their own missing children and made