A schoolgirl who was among more than 200 kidnapped by Boko Haram in 2014 refused to be part of a release deal because she is now married to a militant fighter, the Nigerian government said on Tuesday.
The disclosure underlines the complex psychological effects of a lengthy captivity, and gives an indication of the work required to rehabilitate and reintegrate those released.
Boko Haram has used kidnapping as a weapon of war, seizing thousands of women and girls as part of its eight-year quest to create an Islamic state in northeast Nigeria.
Men and boys have also been forcibly recruited to fight in its insurgency, which since 2009 has killed at least 20,000 in Nigeria alone.
Nigerian presidency spokesman Garba Shehu said the militants had initially agreed to release 83 of the teenagers who were abducted from their school in the town of Chibok in April 2014, but he told the Channels TV station: “One said: ‘No, I have a husband. I’m happy where I am,’ and then 82 came back.”
The 82 girls were released on Saturday following months of talks and the exchange of a number of suspected militants held in government custody.
Twenty-one of their classmates were freed in October last year; three had previously been found or escaped. Talks are understood to have started to free all or some of the remaining 113.
Testimony from former hostages in the brutal conflict has revealed that Boko Haram forced many women and young girls into marriage, and that rape and sexual violence were commonplace.
Some were forced to work as domestic slaves for extremist fighters and even deployed to the front line carrying ammunition during attacks.
Elizabeth Pearson, a Boko Haram specialist who studies women and conflict, said the case of the Chibok girl who refused to leave was “likely to be quite prevalent.”
“From what we know of other young women who’ve returned, the relationships with their captors is very complex and at times quite ambiguous,” she said by e-mail. “We assume because they are abducted they are therefore likely to resist their captors. In fact, they have to develop relationships of some sort in order to survive.”
Genuine relationships emerge, as not all the fighters behave brutally to the women in the camps, particularly if children are involved, she added.
“It’s a much more complex situation than the abducted-rescued-victim narrative we’ve seen at times,” she said.
There have been repeated calls for more to be done to support those released, particularly with many women treated as social outcasts because of their time with the rebels.
Shehu said the government was working to verify the identities of the 82 released so they can be reunited with their families as soon as possible.
A list of the girls’ names was published on Sunday evening and photographs of them have been sent to Chibok and the surrounding area for cross-checking.
“When we had the first 21, because of similarities in names, more than two, three sets of parents came to Abuja. So we don’t want to create that confusion,” Shehu said. “When they get the pictures, they see them and verify, then they come on board to Abuja to see their daughters.”
“We have to reach out to the parents, and ensure that we match the parents and the daughters,” said Aisha Yesufu, coordinator of the #BringBackOurGirls pressure group. “We are still working on it.”
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread