A senior Vietnamese Communist Party official has been removed from the powerful politburo for committing “very serious mistakes and violations” when he was head of the country’s oil and gas monopoly PetroVietnam.
The Central Committee voted in majority to impose the disciplinary measures against Dinh La Thang, according to a statement posted on the party’s Web site late on Sunday.
Thang, 56, was chairman of the board of PetroVietnam from 2005 until he was appointed Vietnamese minister of transport in 2011.
While leading PetroVietnam between 2009 and 2011, Thang committed serious violations in his leadership, command and staff works, “sparking annoyance among officials, party members and people,” the statement said.
His removal signaled the intensification of the party’s fight against corruption among its functionaries, which have undermined its reputation and caused serious economic problems for the country, said Le Hong Hiep, research fellow at the ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute, in an e-mail.
The party’s efforts to fight corruption and restore trust should go along with institutional reforms for power oversight, said Le Danh Doanh, economist and former head of a government think tank.
Thang’s removal was a rare punishment against a politburo member. Discipline against other politburo members has ranged from a reprimand to being stripped of party membership.
The party’s inspection committee last month said that Thang had permitted an investment in the private Ocean Bank that exceeded regulations, causing “very serious losses to PetroVietnam.”
He also was found responsible for a lack of oversight over four major projects, resulting in their suspension and financial losses.
Hiep said Thang is close to former Vietnamese prime minister Nguyen Tan Dung, so his removal could be seen as a move to purge Dung’s cronies.
His removal would also facilitate the investigation into his wrongdoing at PetroVietnam as well as possible problems at the Vietnamese Ministry of Transport.
He was known during his tenure there for sacking ministry officials for wrongdoing.
Thang had been elected to the 19-member politburo early last year.
He remains a member of the 180-member Central Committee, but his position as party chief of Ho Chi Minh City is likely to end, since it requires a politburo membership.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting