The former MI6 agent behind the controversial Trump Russia dossier returned to work on Tuesday, nearly two months after its publication caused an international scandal and furious denials from Washington and Moscow.
Christopher Steele posed for a photograph outside the office of his business intelligence company Orbis in Victoria, London.
Speaking for the first time since his dossier was revealed, Steele said he had received messages of support.
“I’m now going to be focusing my efforts on supporting the broader interests of our company here,” he said. “I’d like to say a warm thank you to everyone who sent me kind messages and support over the last few weeks.”
Steele, who left British intelligence in 2009 and cofounded Orbis with an MI6 colleague, said he would not comment substantively on the contents of the dossier: “Just to add, I won’t be making any further statements or comments at this time.”
Published in January by BuzzFeed, the dossier suggested that US President Donald Trump’s team had colluded with Russian intelligence before the US election to sabotage Democratic candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton’s presidential campaign.
Citing unidentified sources, it said Trump had been “compromised” by Russia’s FSB spy agency during a trip to Moscow in 2013.
It alleged that Trump was secretly videoed with Russian prostitutes in a suite in the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Moscow. The prostitutes allegedly urinated on the bed used by former US president Barack Obama during a presidential visit.
Trump dismissed the dossier as fake news and said Steele was a “failed spy.”
Russian President Vladimir Putin also rejected the dossier.
His spokesman Dmitry Peskov claimed Russia did not collect kompromat — compromising material — on Trump or anyone else.
Steele’s friends say he has been keen to go back to work for some weeks.
They insist he has not been in hiding, but has been keeping a low profile to avoid paparazzi who have been camped outside his family home in Surrey, England.
Several of the lurid stories about him that have appeared in the media have been wrong, friends said.
The stories include claims that Steele met Alexander Litvinenko, the Russian dissident who was murdered in 2006 with a radioactive cup of tea, probably on Putin’s orders.
As head of MI6’s Russia desk, Steele led the inquiry into Litvinenko’s polonium poisoning, quickly concluding that this was a Russian state plot.
He did not meet Litvinenko and was not his case officer, his friends said.
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
A squad of gun-toting police officers patrolled Myanmar’s sacred site of Bagan under the cover of night, taking on plunderers snatching relics from temples forsaken by tourists due to COVID-19 restrictions. Each evening as dusk falls, about 100 officers fan out across the plain of Bagan covering 50km2, sweeping flashlights over the crumbling monuments to scour for intruders. “Our security forces are patrolling day and night,” Police Lieutenant Colonel Sein Win told reporters. “We have it under control for the moment, but it’s a challenge.” The central Burmese city is strewn with more than 3,500 ancient monuments — stupas, temples, murals and sculptures
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un warned against the “hasty” relaxation of anti-coronavirus measures, state media reported on Friday, indicating the country would keep its borders closed for the foreseeable future. North Korea in late January closed its borders as the virus spread in neighboring China, and imposed tough restrictions that put thousands of its people into isolation. Pyongyang insists it has not had a single case of COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus that has swept the world infecting more than 10.8 million people and killing more than 500,000. Analysts have said that North Korea is unlikely to have avoided the contagion