Thu, Jan 12, 2017 - Page 6 News List

Ban’s return marred by relatives’ US indictment

HOMECOMING:The ex-UN chief, who is mulling a run for South Korean president, ‘knows nothing’ about the bribery case involving his relatives, his spokesman said

Reuters, SEOUL

Bahn Joo-hyun, nephew of former UN secretary-general Ban Ki-moon, leaves the federal court in New York on Tuesday.

Photo: AP

A US bribery case against two relatives has cast a pall over former UN secretary-general Ban Ki-moon’s planned return this week to South Korea, where he is expected to launch a bid to run for president.

Ban, 72, has not declared his candidacy, but has had a team of people laying the groundwork in Seoul for a possible presidential campaign ahead of his planned arrival in South Korea on Thursday.

The former foreign minister consistently polls as a top candidate, as the nation braces for the possibility of an early election following parliament’s impeachment last month of South Korean President Park Geun-hye in an influence-peddling scandal.

If a Constitutional Court upholds the impeachment, Park would become South Korea’s first democratically elected leader to leave office in disgrace, triggering an election two months later.

Lee Do-woon, Ban’s spokesman, was quick to distance Ban from an indictment filed against Ban’s younger brother and his nephew in a Manhattan federal court.

It accuses Ban’s relatives of a scheme to bribe a Middle Eastern official for an attempted US$800 million sale of a building complex in Vietnam.

“Ban was greatly surprised by the news, which he learned from the media. He knows nothing about it,” said Lee, adding that Ban would address various concerns upon his arrival in South Korea.

Ban would take at least two weeks to decide whether he would run for president instead of taking to the campaign trail immediately, as many analysts and observers had expected, Lee told a media briefing.

Lee also asked supporters to refrain from greeting Ban on his arrival at Incheon airport. Ban would be driven to his residence in Sadang in southern Seoul instead of taking public transport, as South Korean media had reported.

Controversy around the building deal linked to Ban’s relatives has been previously reported in South Korean media.

In September last year, a Seoul district court ordered Ban’s nephew to pay civil damages of about US$590,000 to builder Keangnam Enterprises. The court said the nephew had fraudulently led Keangnam to believe that the Qatar Investment Authority was close to buying the Vietnam skyscraper.

Ban said during a 2015 visit to South Korea that he had nothing to do with his nephew’s business and that he was “embarrassed” by the situation.

The two relatives could not be reached for comment and Ban also was not immediately available for comment.

Though Ban has not declared an intention to run for president he has said he would devote himself to the country after his UN tenure ended.

“What he needs to do is draw a line and say he has nothing to do with [the alleged improprieties], and he needs to be convincing in his explanation. Otherwise people will start doubting him,” said Kim Sang-jin, professor of political science at Konkuk University.

“If he mishandles this, people will start thinking that he is too weak or isn’t as clean as they thought he was,” Kim said.

Ban plans to travel through South Korea to speak to the public until late this month, his spokesman said.

He is to visit the National Cemetery and a community center tomorrow, and will then go to Chungju in North Chungcheong Province to visit his mother and other family members on Saturday, Lee said.

Ban will also visit a welfare centre for the elderly and homeless before returning to Seoul on Sunday, Lee said.

This story has been viewed 2568 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top