India yesterday stepped up patrols along its de facto border with Pakistan after gunmen killed 17 soldiers at a nearby army base, as Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s administration weighed its response to an attack New Delhi blames on its neighbor.
The assault, in which four commando-like gunmen burst into brigade headquarters in Uri, India, at 5:30am on Sunday, was among the deadliest in Kashmir and has sharply ratcheted up tension between the nuclear-armed archrivals.
Indian Minister of Homes Affairs Rajnath Singh on Sunday called Pakistan “a terrorist state,” while Indian Army Lieutenant General Ranbir Singh said troops were “ready to give a befitting response,” without elaborating.
Photo: AFP / Indian Army
Pakistan denies any role and accused India of apportioning blame before it had properly investigated.
Kashmir, divided between India and Pakistan since 1947, is at the heart of the rivalry between the neighbors. Two of their three wars since independence from Britain have been fought over the region.
Indian troops searched three ravines that cut across the border in mountainous terrain near Uri, which a senior army official said they believe the militants sneaked across.
Reinforcements were also sent to patrol one of the world’s most heavily militarized frontiers, where Indian and Pakistani forces in places stand eyeball to eyeball and sometimes exchange fire, the army official said.
Modi was yesterday expected to meet senior leaders from his party at a Cabinet meeting in New Delhi, where politicians are set to discuss how to respond, as well as the security lapses.
“Our first priority is to fortify every defense base and it is shocking that one of our strategic locations was hit,” a senior aide to Modi told reporters. “It has exposed the flaws and the weakness of our security infrastructure and an immediate overhaul is the first job on hand.”
As well as the 17 confirmed dead, army officials said three of the critically wounded had been flown to an army hospital in New Delhi.
Most of dead and wounded suffered severe burns after their army tents and temporary shelters caught fire from incendiary ammunition while they were sleeping.
The assault came as India’s portion of Kashmir has been under a major security lockdown during more than two months of protests sparked by the July 8 killing of a commander of another Pakistan-based separatist group.
India has long blamed Pakistan for a role in the 27-year-long insurgency against its rule in its only Muslim-majority state.
Indian Army General Ranbir Singh said Sunday’s assault bore the hallmarks of Pakistan-based militant group Jaish-e-Mohammed.
Pakistan denies sending fighters into Indian-administered Kashmir.
“Pakistan categorically rejects the baseless and irresponsible accusations being leveled by senior officials in Prime Minister Modi’s government,” a foreign affairs adviser to Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said in a statement late on Sunday night.
Recent unrest in Kashmir has been led largely by local young men angry at the heavy military presence in the region.
Eighty-two civilians have been killed and more than 7,000 wounded, while a daily curfew paralyzes life. Two policemen have also been killed in clashes.
Pakistan has called on the UN and the international community to investigate atrocities it alleges have been committed by Indian security forces in Kashmir.
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
CHANGING PERCEPTIONS: In its tender, the Hong Kong administration said that it had failed to ‘mobilise the community to support law enforcement actions’ The Hong Kong government has agreed to pay millions of pounds to a discreet London-based PR firm to counter coverage of the territory in the international media. Consulum, which has also represented Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was on Monday awarded the ￡5 million (US$6.2 million) one-year contract to improve Hong Kong’s reputation — the same day that China passed national security legislation targeting the territory. The Mayfair-based PR business was founded by Tim Ryan and Matthew Gunther Bushell, two former employees of Bell Pottinger, an agency that has been criticized for representing some governments and leaders that other businesses