Six people were killed yesterday in a gun and car-bomb assault on a police building in the center of the Somalian capital that also left seven assailants dead, Somalian Minister Security Abdirasak Omar Mohamed said.
Some of the attackers rammed two cars into the building in central Mogadishu and others tried to storm it, he told reporters.
“All of the seven gunmen have been killed, some of them were shot by the security forces and others detonated themselves,” he said. “Five civilians died in the road and one policeman, so that the overall casualty number of deaths is 13.”
Earlier, security official Ibrahim Mohamed told reporters that “terrorist elements” had smashed two cars packed full of explosives into the headquarters of the police’s criminal investigations department.
A reporter heard an exchange of gunfire after the explosions, which took place near a busy junction in the city.
“One of the cars hit the corner of the building and the other hit near the gate. There was smoke and dust and everything was in a mess,” witness Abukar Osman said.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
The blasts came just days after at least 13 people were killed in twin bombings near Mogadishu Airport and UN and African Union buildings.
That attack was claimed by al-Shabaab militants fighting to overthrow Somalia’s internationally backed government.
Al-Shabaab were forced out of the capital five years ago, but continue to carry out regular attacks on military, government and civilian targets.
In recent months they have claimed deadly assaults on military bases as well as civilian targets ,including hotels.
In June, a junior Somlian minister was among 11 people killed in an attack on the Naasa Hablood hotel.
That began when a suicide bomber detonated a car laden with explosives outside the building.
Attackers then stormed the hotel in an assault lasting for several hours. Special security forces ended the siege after killing three attackers inside the hotel.
Earlier in June, the same group claimed an attack on the city’s Ambassador hotel, which left 10 dead, including two lawmakers, when a huge car bomb ripped the front off the six-story building.
This year is considered critical for the group, which is eager to disrupt an expected change of government due in the coming months.
Somalia was supposed to hold national elections this year, but is instead going to hold what diplomats call a “limited franchise election” in which ordinary citizens do not participate.
The UN now hopes a one-person-one-vote election will be possible in 2020.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative