German authorities yesterday cast doubt on whether a teenager who went on an axe rampage on a Bavarian train was really an Afghan refugee, saying that he might have been from Pakistan.
The Islamic State group on Tuesday released a video purportedly featuring the 17-year-old, who was shot dead by police following the train attack in which he injured five people, two of them critically.
However, sources close to the German security services now think he might have pretended to be an Afghan on arrival in Germany last year in order to have a better chance at securing asylum, TV station ZDF reported.
Photo: DPA via AP
In the video, the youth uses phrases of a dialect of Pashto spoken in Pakistan and not Afghanistan, and experts have indicated that his accent is also clearly Pakistani, ZDF said.
A Pakistani document was also found in his room.
The name he used in the video, Mohammed Riyadh, does not match the name under which he registered in Germany, Riaz Kahn, the station added.
German authorities said they had authenticated the video.
Locals described the assailant, identified in media reports as Riaz A, as “calm and even-keeled” and a “devout Muslim who did not appear to be radical or a fanatic,” Bavarian Minister of the Interior Joachim Herrmann said.
“According to the investigation thus far, there was no evidence on site to point to him belonging to the Islamist network,” Herrmann said.
However, police later found a farewell letter he apparently left for his father, in which he said the world’s Muslims “must defend themselves.”
“Now pray for me that I can take revenge on nonbelievers, pray for me that I can get to heaven,” the note said.
Prosecutors said he shouted “Allahu akbar” (God is great) three times as he made his way through the carriage.
The assailant had arrived as an unaccompanied minor in Germany in June last year and had been staying with a foster family in the region over the past two weeks, Herrmann said.
“We must determine what the motive was and to what extent he really belonged to the Islamist scene or self-radicalized very recently,” Herrmann said, adding that the assailant had no criminal record in Germany.
Four members of a family from Hong Kong were injured in the attack, with two of them in intensive care, and a passerby was also hurt.
The elder daughter of the Yau family told local media that her parents tried to defend her sister’s boyfriend when the axe-wielding teenager went for him.
“Originally the assailant was attacking my sister’s boyfriend and when my mother and father saw, they went up to get in the way and then they got injured,” 30-year-old Sylvia told the Hong Kong-based Apple Daily newspaper on Tuesday night.
Her father and her sister’s boyfriend are now in intensive care with serious head injuries.
Her sister Tracy, 26, and their 58-year-old mother were also injured, while Sylvia’s 17-year-old brother was unharmed.
“My father-in-law’s friends received pictures and said they were having lots of fun,” said Sylvia’s husband, who was not named.
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
Three Micronesian sailors stranded on a remote Pacific island have been found alive and well after a rescue team spotted their giant SOS message written into the sand on a beach. Australian and US military aircraft found the three men on tiny Pikelot island, nearly 200km west of where they had set off. Rescuers said that the men were “in good condition” with no significant injuries. The men had been missing for three days after their 7m skiff ran out of fuel and strayed off course. Authorities in the US territory of Guam raised the alarm on Saturday after the men failed to complete
A cat that went missing on a family holiday on the shores of Loch Lomond, Scotland, has been identified 12 years later. Tortoiseshell-and-white Georgie spent October half term in 2008 with her owners at the Rowardennan campsite, but vanished as they were due to return home to Greater Manchester, England. After a search of the site the Davies family departed without Georgie, hoping the three-year-old microchipped feline would be located by someone. Over the intervening 12 years, she remained close to the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park site, being fed and cared for by campsite staff and holidaymakers. After the COVID-19 pandemic hit and lockdown
LIFELONG LOSS: Jiro Hamasumi, who was not quite born when an atomic bomb hit Hiroshima, lost his father and other relatives, but said he thinks about his father daily As Japan marks 75 years since the devastating attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the last generation of nuclear bomb survivors is working to ensure their message lives on after them. The “hibakusha” — literally “person affected by the bomb” — have for decades been a powerful voice calling for the abolition of nuclear weapons. There are an estimated 136,700 left, many of whom were infants or soon to be born at the time of the attacks. The average age of a survivor now is a little over 83, according to the Japanese Ministry of Health, lending an urgency as they share their testimonies