Twelve people have died during a massive three-day traffic jam in Indonesia that stretched more than 20km and brought thousands of holidaymakers to a complete standstill, an official said yesterday.
The horror traffic at a major highway junction in Brebes, a city on the main island of Java, was so bad that Indonesians dubbed the disastrous toll gate “Brexit,” from the words “Brebes exit.”
Roads across the world’s most populous Muslim-majority nation are choked every year at the end of the holy month of Ramadan, as millions head to villages to celebrate Eid al-Fitr, which fell on Wednesday, but the chaos at the “Brexit” junction this year was particularly acute in the three days before Eid al-Fitr, as tens of thousands of cars crammed the arterial highway, Indonesian Ministry of Transportation spokesman Hemi Pramuraharjo said.
“In terms of this Brexit case, there’s been a total of 12 victims over different days,” he said.
The deaths occurred between Sunday and Tuesday, not in a single day as earlier reported, he said.
Pramuraharjo said several of the victims were elderly, while others died from fatigue and other health complications. Local media reported that a one-year-old suffering from fume poisoning was also among the deceased.
More than 400 motorists have died on Indonesia’s roads so far this holiday season, including those in the “Brexit” jam, Pramuraharjo said.
Accidents are not uncommon during holidays, particularly on the potholed roads of overcrowded Java, home to more than half of Indonesia’s 255 million people.
At the “Brexit” snarl, frustrated motorists posted pictures to social media showing cars snaked back for kilometers. Aerial shots captured a sea of motionless vehicles, with some drivers seeking respite on the roadside.
Pramuraharjo said roadside vendors and crowded markets near the junction compounded the chaos, leading to traffic snarls “more than 20km” in length.
“There is a bottleneck there, where there’s a petrol station very nearby and many people queue,” he said. “There’s no space on the road. We don’t have a solution.”
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of