Iraqi Minister of the Interior Mohammed Ghabban on Tuesday submitted his resignation, as authorities sought to contain the fallout from a bombing in Baghdad that killed more than 200 people and triggered widespread anger.
Officials, apparently seeking to shore up their image after the attack claimed by the Islamic State group, had already announced new security measures, the execution of five convicts and the arrest of 40 militants.
The suicide car bombing ripped through Baghdad’s Karrada District early on Sunday when it was teeming with shoppers ahead of the holiday marking the end of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, sparking infernos in nearby buildings.
“I placed my resignation before the prime minister,” Ghabban told a news conference, though it was unclear if it would be accepted, and he may yet stay in office.
Ghabban said the bomb-rigged car came from Diyala Province, meaning it likely successfully navigated a security checkpoint on the way into the capital.
He described as “absolutely useless” the checkpoints that are littered throughout capital, which have long been a pillar of government efforts to secure the city.
However, he did not directly accept responsibility for the bombing, rather saying the security system was fundamentally flawed and that he could not “be responsible for the blood and responsible for this confusion in this security system.”
Ghabban called for a series of changes, including transferring responsibility for the capital’s security from the Baghdad Operations Command to the interior ministry, which would ultimately increase the minister’s power.
Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi announced changes to security measures following the blast, including scrapping fake bomb detectors that were still in use years after the man who sold them to Iraq was jailed for fraud in Britain.
Authorities also hailed the arrest of 40 militants who were said to be connected to planned attacks, while the Ministry of Justice announced the execution of five convicts, linking the timing to the Baghdad blast.
As Iraqi politicians maneuvered to contain the fallout from the bombing, family and friends were still waiting to learn the fate of the missing.
Iraqi Minister of Health Adila Hamoud on Tuesday said that of the 250 people killed in the bombing, DNA testing would be required to identify more than half.
She said 150 bodies “required DNA testing and matching with the families of the victims,” because they had been burned by the fire that followed the blast.
Hamoud did not specify how many had been identified so far, but said the process was expected to take between 15 and 45 days.
The delays have angered relatives, some of whom, including a man named Yadullah Mahmud, confronted Hamoud as she visited the forensics department in Baghdad responsible for identifying the victims.
Mahmud, who lost six relatives in the bombing, said the family had brought what he believes are ashes of the victims to the morgue.
“We aren’t able ... to identify them, but there are clues,” such as mobile SIM cards, rings and clothes they were wearing, he said.
A stretcher piled with ashes, some of which had spilled over the side onto the blood-streaked floor, sat near the door inside the morgue.
Iraqis have turned out to donate blood to help the victims of the blast, and about two dozen people were doing so at the national blood bank on Tuesday.
“The number of donors for the last three days has reached 3,800,” blood bank director Yaqub al-Mussawi said.
Ahmad Abbas, who reclined in a blue chair as he donated blood, said he did not come because of a specific person, but rather because Iraqis were in need.
“What matters is that he is Iraqi and he needs it,” Abbas said.
“A drop of blood from me might help in a small way,” he said.
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘SUICIDE’: Media reports said Park Won-soon went missing on Thursday after a staff member filed a sexual harassment claim against him this week Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, viewed as a potential candidate for the 2022 presidential election, was found dead of an apparent suicide hours after he was reported missing, police said, adding that he was the subject of an undisclosed investigation. In a note he is thought to have left behind on his desk, Park offered his apologies. “I thank everyone who was with me in my life. I apologize to my family for only making them suffer from pain,” according to the note that was released by his office yesterday. Park, in his letter, asked to be cremated and have his remains spread
RISKY BUSINESS: The Chinese firm has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of 5G equipment not covered by US sanctions, but fears a wider ban could be announced in the UK Huawei Technologies Co believes it can supply 5G hardware unaffected by US sanctions to the UK for the next five years, sidestepping the expected conclusion of British emergency review on Tuesday. The company has stockpiled 500,000 pieces of kit, but fears a wider ban on its equipment is to be unveiled to placate rebel British Conservative Party lawmakers, who say that the Chinese supplier represents a national security risk. The British government on Friday said that it was “very likely” that British Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden would make a statement to parliament on Tuesday
“Leaving a place that I love was very difficult. We’re all Hong Kong people who come out to protest because we love Hong Kong. But now we are forced to leave.” *Jay* is a former Hong Kong resident who attended many of last year’s protests, including on the front lines. He was arrested and charged with riot offenses, but fled the territory when he was being released on bail several months ago. He is now among dozens of Hong Kong residents seeking political asylum in Australia, and he has no expectation of returning home. “When I was taking the bus to the