US presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, who frequently criticizes US foreign policy under President Barack Obama and former secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, has praised former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein’s ruthlessness.
“Saddam Hussein was a bad guy, right?... But you know what he did well? He killed terrorists. He did that so good,” Trump told a campaign rally on Tuesday night in Raleigh, North Carolina. “They didn’t read ‘em the rights, they didn’t talk. They were a terrorist, it was over.”
Trump has previously said the world would be “100 percent better” if dictators like Hussein and Libya’s Muammar Qaddafi were still in power. Prior to the US invasion, Iraq was listed by the US as a state sponsor of terrorism.
Jake Sullivan, a Clinton senior policy adviser, said Trump’s “praise for brutal strongmen seemingly knows no bounds.”
Sullivan said such comments “demonstrate how dangerous he would be as commander-in-chief and how unworthy he is of the office he seeks.”
Trump’s foreign policy pronouncements have proved controversial, even within the Republican Party. He has said the US is too fully engaged around the world and has questioned the role of NATO and said the US has been taken advantage of by nations benefiting from its security cooperation and troop presence. Some critics within the party have said his policies suggest an isolationist stance in an increasingly dangerous world.
US senators John McCain and Lindsey Graham, partners among Republican congressional critics of the Obama administration’s foreign policy, carried out a fact-check on Trump’s national security statements earlier this year at a Capitol Hill hearing.
On April 19, when the US Army general selected to lead US forces in South Korea testified before the committee, McCain seized the opportunity to undermine Trump’s suggestion that the US withdraw its forces from the South because Seoul is not paying enough to cover the cost of the US military presence.
“Isn’t it the fact that it costs us less to have troops stationed in [South] Korea than in the United States, given the contribution the Republic of Korea makes?” McCain asked US General Vincent Brooks.
Yes, Brooks said, telling McCain the South Koreans pay half, or US$808 million annually, of the US presence there.
Two days later, Trump’s claim that NATO is irrelevant and ill-suited to fight terrorism came under the microscope. As president, Trump has said he would force member nations to increase their contributions, even if that risked breaking up the alliance.
Responding to a series of questions from Graham, US Army General Curtis Scaparrotti, selected as top US commander in Europe, assured the committee of NATO’s critical importance to the US. Breaking up the alliance would benefit Russia, the Islamic State group and even the Taliban in Afghanistan, Scaparrotti said.
In early March, more than 70 conservative national experts, including former US secretary of homeland security Michael Chertoff, wrote in an open letter that they have disagreed with one another on a variety of issues, but are united in their opposition to a Trump presidency.
The experts who signed the letter said they planned to work to prevent Trump’s election, a stance that suggests there may be a shallow pool of experienced conservative national security professionals willing to join Trump’s administration should he win in November.
They called Trump “fundamentally dishonest” and said his support for the expanded use of torture against suspected terrorists is inexcusable. They also cited Trump’s “hateful, anti-Muslim rhetoric,” his admiration for Russian President Vladimir Putin, and his advocacy for waging trade wars, which they say would lead to economic disaster in a globally connected world.
The letter was posted on the Web site War On The Rocks, an online forum for foreign policy and national security commentary.
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
PLAYING THE VICTIM? A Chinese spokesman sent a statement to Australian media saying that Beijing had ‘irrefutable’ evidence of Canberra’s widescale espionage Australia yesterday unveiled the “largest-ever” boost in cybersecurity spending, days after Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison spoke out about a wave of state-sponsored attacks suspected to have been carried out by China. Morrison and government officials said the country would spend an additional A$1.35 billion (US$928 million) on cybersecurity, about a 10 percent hike, taking the budget for the next decade to A$15 billion. The largest chunk of the new money would help create 500 jobs within the Australian Signals Directorate, the government’s communications intelligence agency. Morrison on June 19 said that a “state-based actor” was targeting a host of