Tue, Jul 05, 2016 - Page 7 News List

World News Quick Take

Agencies

CHINA

Police detain 21 protesters

Police have detained 21 people involved in a protest against a planned garbage incinerator, the latest incident of environment-related unrest in the country. In a statement late on Sunday, the government of Gaoyao district in Guangdong Province’s Zhaoqing City said about 1,300 people had gathered to protest earlier in the day, which had caused traffic problems. While the protesters were dispersed by the early afternoon and there was no “drastic behavior,” 21 people have been taken in for questioning, it added. Zhaoqing police said on their official microblog that the situation had returned to normal. However, the official China Daily said there had been some violence. “The lawbreakers threw stones and bottles of mineral water at police,” propaganda official Duan Jianxin (段建新) told the newspaper. “Some police officers were injured.”

NEPAL

Summit claim challenged

Mountaineering authorities are investigating a climbing claim by an Indian couple who are accused of altering photographs of themselves on the summit of Mount Everest, an official said yesterday. Department of Tourism chief Sudarshan Dhakal said that authorities are reviewing the Everest climb made by Dinesh Rathod and his wife, Tarakeshwari, in May. They were issued climber’s certificates from the government after they presented a photograph of themselves on the 8,850m summit. The couple, who are both police officers from Pune in the Indian state of Maharastra, had also claimed they were the first Indian couple to scale Everest. However, fellow climbers said the couple never reached the summit and used someone else’s photographs to earn their climbing certificates. Another Indian climber, Satyarup Sidhantha from Bangalore, said it was his photograph that the couple altered to make it appear they were on the summit. If the accusation is found to be true, the couple would lose their certificates and be banned from climbing any mountains in Nepal.

TURKEY

Bombing suspects charged

Thirteen suspects, including 10 Turks, were on Sunday charged over the Istanbul airport suicide bombings, the deadliest of several attacks to strike Turkey’s biggest city this year, the Dogan news agency reported. The suspects, who are in police custody, were charged with belonging to a terror group, homicide and endangering the unity of the state, Dogan reported, without providing the foreigners’ nationalities. Prime Minister Binali Yildirim, meanwhile, gave some new details on the probe, saying police had arrested a total of 29 to date over the attacks, including foreigners. “Everything will be unveiled in due time,” Yildirim said.

UNITED KINGDOM

UKIP leader Farage quits

The leader of Britain’s anti-European Union UK Independence Party (UKIP) Nigel Farage yesterday said he would stand down after having realized his ambition of winning last month’s referendum in favor of Brexit. “I have never been, and I have never wanted to be, a career politician. My aim in being in politics was to get Britain out of the European Union,” he told reporters. “So I feel it’s right that I should now stand aside as leader of UKIP. “During the referendum campaign, I said ‘I want my country back’. What I’m saying today, is, ‘I want my life back,’ and it begins right now,” he said. He said he would continue to support the party, and continue to watch Brussels “like a hawk” during the negotiations around Britain’s exit from the EU.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top