More than 20 people were yesterday killed in separate bomb attacks in Afghanistan, including at least 14 when a suicide bomber struck a minibus carrying Nepalese security contractors in the Afghan capital, officials said.
In Kabul, a witness saw several apparently dead victims and at least two wounded being carried out of the twisted remains of a yellow bus after the suicide bomber struck the vehicle during the morning rush hour in the capital.
Hours later, a bomb planted in a motorbike killed at least eight civilians and wounded 18 in a crowded market in the northern province of Badakhshan, provincial government spokesman Naveed Frotan said.
The casualty count could rise, he said.
The attacks are the latest in a recent surge of violence that highlights the challenges faced by the Afghan government in Kabul and its Western backers as Washington slowly draws down its remaining troops, despite a persistent insurgency.
Afghan Ministry of the Interior spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said on Twitter that 14 people had been killed and eight wounded in the attack in Kabul.
Police were working to identify the victims, he said.
The casualties appeared to include Afghan civilians and Nepalese security contractors, Kabul Police Chief Abdul Rahman Rahimi said after police and emergency vehicles surrounded the scene in the Banae District in the east of the city.
He said the suicide bomber had waited near a compound housing the security contractors and struck as the vehicle moved through early morning traffic.
Several people in an adjacent market were also wounded in the attack, which occurred during Ramadan, Islam’s holy month.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the Kabul attack in a statement from the extremist group’s main spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, on Twitter.
There was no immediate indication of who carried out the attack in Badakshan.
The Nepalese government was still working through its embassy in Pakistan, which also oversees the nation’s relations with Afghanistan, to verify reports that its citizens were involved in the attack, Nepalese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Bharat Paudel said.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi sent his condolences to his two South Asian neighbors after the attack.
“We strongly condemn the horrible tragedy in Kabul. Our deep condolences to people & Govts of Afghanistan & Nepal on loss of innocent lives,” Modi said on Twitter.
Another explosion in Kabul later yesterday morning wounded a provincial council member and at least three of his bodyguards, Kabul police spokesman Basir Mujahid said.
It was thought a bomb had been attached to the lawmaker’s car, he said.
The attacks underlined how serious the security threat facing Afghanistan remains since former Taliban leader Mullah Akhtar Mansoor was killed in a US drone strike last month and was replaced by Haibatullah Akhundzada.
The blasts follow a deadly suicide attack on a bus carrying Afghan Ministry of Justice staff near Kabul last month and a separate attack on a court in the central city of Ghazni on June 1.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for both of those attacks as revenge for the execution of six Taliban prisoners.
Reporters Without Borders has accused the Algerian government of taking advantage of the COVID-19 pandemic to “settle scores” with independent journalists, including those covering long-running anti-government protests. In a statement signed with Algerian non-governmental organizations, the watchdog on Thursday called for the immediate release of its correspondent, Khaled Drareni, who has been in pretrial detention since Sunday after being charged with inciting an unarmed gathering and endangering national unity. Drareni has been arrested several times for covering the “Hirak” anti-government protests held in the capital, Algiers, every Friday since February last year. Imprisoning people during a pandemic is “an act of physical endangerment,”
Vietnam has lodged an official protest with China following the sinking of a Vietnamese fishing boat that it said had been rammed by a Chinese maritime surveillance vessel near islands in the South China Sea. The Vietnamese fishing vessel, with eight fishermen onboard, was fishing near the Paracel Islands (Xisha Islands, 西沙群島) on Thursday when it was rammed and sunk by the Chinese vessel, the Vietnamese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement posted on a government Web site yesterday. All of the fishermen were picked up by the Chinese vessel alive and were transferred to two other Vietnamese fishing vessels
DIVIDED YOUTH: There is a belief that overseas students see themselves as superior, which is compounded by perceptions of their extreme wealth and multiple nationalities Chinese students flying home from overseas to escape the COVID-19 pandemic face a frosty reception from sections of the public who view them as wealthy, spoiled — and potentially contaminated. The number of officially reported cases in China has dwindled dramatically over the last month, but the country is now taking drastic steps to try and stem a second wave of infections brought in from abroad. With most international flights canceled and nearly all foreigners barred from entering the country, the vast majority of returnees are Chinese nationals, including many students. The situation has exposed animosities over class and privilege in Chinese society,
An Australian graduate student arrested for spying and expelled from North Korea last year said that he was threatened with a firing-squad execution and told not even US President Donald Trump could save his “sorry arse.” Among the crimes Alek Sigley was accused of committing was posting a picture of a toy tank on Instagram, which his interrogators told him was military espionage. Sigley, 30, was studying for a master’s degree in Korean literature at Kim Il Sung University in Pyongyang when he went missing in June last year, sparking alarm. A fluent speaker of Korean, he had written articles for several publications