A high-profile sex assault case in California reverberating across the globe has prompted soul-searching in the US and reignited a debate about rape culture on US college campuses.
The case burst into the spotlight after the victim made public a powerful letter to the judge who sentenced her attacker — 20-year-old former Stanford University student Brock Turner — on Thursday last week to six months in jail on three felony convictions.
Her harrowing 12-page account of the assault in January last year and its impact on her life — read in court before the sentencing — lit up the Internet within hours of being posted online, drawing a global chorus of outrage at the light sentence and prompting calls for the judge to be removed from the bench.
“You don’t know me, but you’ve been inside me, and that’s why we’re here today,” she told her attacker in the statement read in court. “You took away my worth, my privacy, my energy, my time, my intimacy, my confidence, my own voice, until today.”
A letter to the court by Turner’s father, stating that the former Stanford University swimmer did not deserve to be jailed for “20 minutes of action,” further stoked the debate about race and privilege.
The furor even reached the nation’s capital, with US Vice President Joe Biden praising the young victim as a “warrior.”
The case is emblematic of the way rape assaults are handled on US campuses, where observers say lax policies have created a climate of impunity and discouraged victims from speaking out.
“In general, colleges and universities have done a really bad job at managing campus sexual assault, preventing it or responding to it when it occurs,” said Michele Dauber, a Stanford law professor spearheading a campaign to have the judge in the assault case recalled.
Dauber, who is a close friend of the 23-year-old California woman targeted in the assault, said the six-month sentence given to Turner — who is expected to serve only three months in county jail — downplays the seriousness of rape.
“Here we have the ‘perfect’ victim who did everything ‘right,’ going to the police, making a formal charge and subjecting her body to the rape exam. She even had witnesses... and she still didn’t get justice,” Dauber said.
“The message this case is sending is: ‘Don’t bother calling the police, you won’t get justice,’” Dauber added.
According to the National Crime Victimization Survey, about one in six women in the US are victims of sexual assault. A study last year by Brown University found that more than one in every six women are raped during their first year in college while too drunk or incapacitated to fend off their attacker. The majority of college-age victims — about 80 percent — knew their attacker, surveys show.
Amy Ziering, who produced the campus rape documentary The Hunting Ground last year, said if anything, the Stanford case had cast the spotlight on the issue as never before.
“It has really, really raised everyone’s consciousness in a way somewhat unprecedented,” she said.
“You have 14 million people in five days reading someone’s letter online and responding to it, and that is something I’ve never seen in my lifetime,” she added. “This has actually ignited a conversation I just have never seen.”
“It has prompted a debate about privilege, entitlement and the criminal justice system,” she said.
At Stanford, the case has also drawn outrage among some faculty and students who have accused the school of a lack of sympathy toward the victim.
“The university has still not apologized to her or expressed any compassion toward her,” Dauber said. “They instead praised themselves about how they did everything right.”
Two student-led petitions circulating online have questioned the university’s response and urged the school to release the names of students responsible for sexual assault or misconduct. Protests are also planned at Stanford graduation ceremonies today.
Stanford officials did not reply to a request for interviews, referring to statements in which they defended their handling of the Turner case and denounced “misinformation” about the university’s role.
“Stanford University did everything within its power to assure that justice was served in this case,” a statement said, citing a quick police response and referral to prosecutors.
Meanwhile, Turner, who is being held in a county jail in San Jose, California, has been moved to protective custody out of fear for his safety. Yesterday, he was banned for life from competing in national swim competitions.
Ziering said she was confident the outcry would lead to change in the way rape victims are treated and often shamed into silence.
“This case is the epitome of rape culture in our society,” she said. “You couldn’t get a better case.”
“What is hopeful to me about it, is everything that has happened in the aftermath,” she said.
A coronavirus-free tropical island nestled in the northern Pacific might seem the perfect place to ride out a pandemic, but residents on Palau said that life right now is far from idyllic. The microstate of 18,000 people is among a dwindling number of places on Earth that still report zero cases of COVID-19 as figures mount daily elsewhere. The disparate group also includes Samoa, Turkmenistan, North Korea and bases on the frozen continent of Antarctica. A dot in the ocean hundreds of kilometers from its nearest neighbors, Palau is surrounded by the vast Pacific Ocean, which has acted as a buffer against the
Dutch scientists have found the coronavirus in a city’s wastewater before COVID-19 cases were reported, demonstrating a novel early warning system for the disease. SARS-CoV-2 — the virus that causes COVID-19 — is often excreted in an infected person’s stool. Although it is unlikely that sewage will become an important route of transmission, the pathogen’s increasing circulation in communities would increase the amount of it flowing into sewer systems, Gertjan Medema and colleagues at the KWR Water Research Institute in Nieuwegein said on Monday. They detected genetic material from the coronavirus at a wastewater treatment plant in Amersfoort on March 5, before
‘LIKE A CASSANDRA’: Chinese residents of Prato went into self-imposed lockdown and warned their Italian neighbors about what was coming, but were ignored In the storm of infection and death sweeping Italy, one big community stands out to health officials as remarkably unscathed — the 50,000 ethnic Chinese who live in the town of Prato. Two months ago, the country’s Chinese residents were the target of what Amnesty International described as shameful discrimination, the butt of insults and violent attacks by people who feared that they would spread the coronavirus through Italy. However, in the Tuscan town of Prato, home to Italy’s single biggest Chinese community, the opposite has been true. Once scapegoats, they are now held up by authorities as a model for early,
TRUE TOLL? Some Chinese are skeptical about official data, particularly given the overwhelmed medical system and initial attempts to cover up the outbreak The long lines and stacks of urns greeting family members of the dead at funeral homes in Wuhan, China, are spurring questions about the true scale of casualties at the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, renewing pressure on a Chinese government struggling to control its containment narrative. The families of those who succumbed to the coronavirus in the city, where the disease first emerged, were allowed to pick up their cremated ashes at eight funeral homes last week. As they did, photographs circulated on Chinese social media of thousands of urns being ferried in. Outside one funeral home, trucks shipped in about 2,500