South Sudanese President Salva Kiir has named his transitional unity government, sharing power with ex-rebels, a key step in a long-delayed peace process, a decree read out yesterday said.
According to a peace deal in August last year, the 30 posts of ministers are split between Kiir, former rebel leader turned first vice president Riek Machar, the main opposition and other parties.
Kiir’s decree “for the appointment of ministers of the transitional government of national unity” was broadcast on government radio yesterday morning.
Machar returned to the capital, Juba, on Tuesday and was immediately sworn in to the post of vice president, a position he was sacked from five months before war broke out.
Fighting erupted in December 2013 when Kiir accused Machar of plotting a coup, claims he always denied.
Kiir loyalists Kuol Manyang remains as minister of defense and David Deng Athorbei as minster of finance, facing the rebuilding of an economy left in ruins by more than two years of war.
The key petroleum portfolio was handed to Dak Duop Bichok.
The ministry of foreign affairs went to Deng Alor, a post he held under a united Sudan, before South Sudan won its independence in 2011.
Alor was a member of a group called the “former detainees,” influential leaders arrested when war broke out, but was later released after pressure from regional leaders.
Opposition leader and outspoken government critic Lam Akol became minister of agriculture and food security, a key job in a country where 5 million are in need of aid, with some areas having been pushed to the brink of famine.
Ensuring that the ministers work together in a unity government — and that the thousands of rival armed forces now in separate camps inside the capital keep their guns quiet — is expected to be a major challenge.
Both sides remain deeply suspicious of each other and fighting continues with multiple militant forces having been unleashed who now pay no heed to either Kiir or Machar.
Tens of thousands of people have been killed and more than 2 million driven from their homes in the conflict, which has reignited ethnic divisions and been characterized by gross human rights abuses.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting