Pyongyang’s state media yesterday said a group of 13 North Koreans working at a restaurant China had been tricked into defecting by South Korean spies.
The 13 — a male manager and 12 female employees of a Pyongyang-run restaurant — arrived in Seoul last week, South Korean Ministry of Unification said.
Ministry spokesman Jeong Joon-hee said they had been under pressure to meet their quota for hard currency remittances to Pyongyang and had become disillusioned with the North’s propaganda after being exposed to foreign media.
The South Korean government estimates Pyongyang rakes in about US$10 million every year from about 130 restaurants it operates — with mostly North Korean staff — in 12 countries, including China.
North Korea’s propaganda Web site Uriminzokkiri said that the manager, who it said was bribed by South Korean spies, had tricked the 12 others into thinking they were going to a new workplace.
“The manager, in connivance with [South Korean] spies, tricked the employees into believing that they were moving to a different workplace in a far-off place” before putting them on a plane, it said in a commentary.
It said the “abduction” was part of the South’s “heinous” anti-Pyongyang smear campaign.
South Korean daily Hankyoreh Sinmun quoted the Chinese owner of the restaurant in Ningbo, in China’s Zhejiang Province, as saying the manager had stolen more than 1.2 million yuan (US$185,000) from the restaurant, which had a total of 20 North Korean employees.
The seven remaining North Koreans were staying with North Korean embassy officials and were expected to return home, the owner was quoted as telling the paper.
The 13 defectors were still incommunicado, being questioned by South Korean authorities.
The North’s Red Cross spokesman on Tuesday said the 13 were kidnapped by the South and demanded it apologize and return them immediately or face “unimaginable consequences and strong countermeasures.”
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
A squad of gun-toting police officers patrolled Myanmar’s sacred site of Bagan under the cover of night, taking on plunderers snatching relics from temples forsaken by tourists due to COVID-19 restrictions. Each evening as dusk falls, about 100 officers fan out across the plain of Bagan covering 50km2, sweeping flashlights over the crumbling monuments to scour for intruders. “Our security forces are patrolling day and night,” Police Lieutenant Colonel Sein Win told reporters. “We have it under control for the moment, but it’s a challenge.” The central Burmese city is strewn with more than 3,500 ancient monuments — stupas, temples, murals and sculptures