French officials on Wednesday charged the main suspect in a foiled attack plot with membership of a terrorist organization after police found an arsenal of weapons and explosives at his home.
French national Reda Kriket, 34, was arrested near Paris last week and a police raid on his apartment netted a cache of assault rifles, handguns and Triacetone Triperoxide — the highly volatile homemade explosive favored by Islamic State (IS) militants.
French State Prosecutor Francois Molins said that “no specific target” had been identified for the foiled attack, but the cache of weapons showed an imminent act of “extreme violence” had likely been prevented.
Kriket’s arrest came just four months after militants killed 130 people in the French capital.
Investigators have been stepping up efforts to smash a tangled web of IS-linked extremists blamed for both the Paris attacks in November last year and the suicide bombings on Brussels airport and metro last week that killed 32 people.
Another French suspect, Anis Bahri, 32, was arrested in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, on Sunday in connection with the foiled Paris plot and is fighting extradition to France.
Both Kriket and Bahri are believed to have traveled to Syria in late 2014 or early last year, and since then between France, Belgium and the Netherlands, the French prosecutor said.
Two other suspects — Abderrahmane Ameroud, 38, and Rabah M., 34 — have been charged in Belgium over the foiled plot and are to be held for another week, Molins said.
The arrests highlight the extensive links investigators have uncovered between French and Belgian IS cells behind the Brussels and Paris attacks.
Kriket, who is linked to the suspected ringleader of the Paris attacks, was found guilty in absentia in Brussels in July last year of being part of a militant recruitment network and sentenced to 10 years in jail.
Investigations showed Kriket played a key role in financing the recruitment network with money from robberies and stolen goods.
Brussels airport said it would remain closed to passenger flights until at least late yesterday afternoon as the operator carries out further tests.
“The evaluation of the trial is still ongoing and will take at least till tomorrow afternoon. No flights till then,” the airport operator said on Twitter.
The airport has been closed since suicide bombers Najim Laachraoui and Ibrahim El Bakraoui blew themselves up in the departure hall on Tuesday last week.
The metro, which was due to be fully operational on Wednesday, is still running on a limited service after the national security council judged the decision to reopen premature.
Meanwhile, the mayor of the Brussels district of Molenbeek, Francoise Schepmans, said extremists had been banned from holding a planned anti-Islam rally in the neighbourhood after talks with police.
The impoverished immigrant neighborhood has long been seen as a hotbed of extremism and the prime suspect in the Paris attacks was arrested there earlier this month.
Criticism of the Belgian authorities’ handling of the attacks probe has mounted after the sole suspect charged over the attacks was freed on Monday over a lack of evidence.
Prosecutors had charged the suspect, named by media as Faycal Cheffou, with “terrorist murder” and were investigating whether he was the third airport attacker who fled after his bomb did not detonate.
However, the hunt is now back on for the so-called “man in the hat,” seen in CCTV footage next to the two suicide bombers at the airport.
Investigators are looking for Naim al-Hamed, whose fingerprints were found at the apartment used by the Brussels airport bombers, but they do not know whether he is the “third man” in the attack or another fugitive.
Al-Hamed has been linked to Salah Abdeslam, the key suspect in the Paris attacks, who was arrested in Brussels on March 18 after more than four months on the run.
A closed-door hearing yesterday was to decide whether Abdeslam should be extradited to France.
Belgium has also been accused of missing a series of leads linking the Paris attacks to those behind the Brussels bombings.
In the most damning revelation, Turkey said Belgium ignored warnings from Ankara after it deported airport suicide bomber Bakraoui as a “terrorist fighter” last year following his arrest near the Syrian border.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
WARNINGS OVER COMPLACENCY: The curves of new infections in numerous countries is climbing, while others see the the first new infections in months Spikes in COVID-19 infections in Asia have dispelled any notion that the region might be over the worst, with Australia and India yesterday reporting record daily infections, Vietnam fretting over a new surge and North Korea urging vigilance. Asian nations had largely prided themselves on rapidly containing initial outbreaks after the coronavirus emerged in central China late last year, but flare-ups this month have shown the danger of complacency. “We’ve got to be careful not to slip into some idea that there’s some golden immunity that Australia has in relation to this virus,” Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters. Australia recorded its
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable